What Might Have Been (3/?): Barbecue Forks

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

What Might Have Been (3/?): Barbecue Forks

Postby Alicorn » Fri May 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Unlike the previous two, this one got as far as threading (beware, thread split partway in; reading flat may become confusing there) before my partner Lynette bowed out. She doesn't anticipate being able to pick it up again anytime soon, so here is a writeup.

The opening is obviously very like Juliet's from Effulgence, except that there is a Soph written in from the beginning. Bella is still the Slayer, and the girls have still moved to Sunnydale for Standard Backstory Reasons. Lynette drew on her repertoire of Sunnydale AU characters, who include assorted Harry Potter characters (most notably Neville Longbottom, with live parents and three younger siblings) and Narnia characters (the Pevensie siblings, who are as a family Watcher-affiliated and have Lucy as a potential Slayer). Lynette has used these characters elsewhere; I am not authorized to issue public links, but if you are curious about her characters in action beyond the scope of Barbecue Forks I may privately link people to a long-form currently-stalled RP between Lynette and kappa which includes some kappa favorites and key Lynette pups too.

Loose plans for Barbecue Forks's plot-that-never-was included: Bella is determined to be incapable of magic due to her protective opacity. Soph can, and starts learning, mostly at Bella's urging. The Watchers again send a librarian to Sunnydale to be on the lookout for Slayers thereabouts because they can't find Bella; I don't think we'd firmly decided between it being Edmund or Peter but we were leaning towards it being Peter so Edmund could tag along and be closer in age to the pack of teenagers. They would be not on board with Council Related Bullshit, and also have a vested personal interest in keeping Bella alive because they don't want Lucy called. Fascinating doings would ensue.

Because this idea is pretty thoroughly entwined with Lynette's characters in particular, it is not available for harvest by third parties in its current form, but you could take it as a template if you want to do a Sunnydale AU with me - insert high school classmates, replace Giles, proceed.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: What Might Have Been (3/?): Barbecue Forks

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Fri May 16, 2014 1:43 pm

That's a shame, I liked those characters.

(I stumbled on the two Lynette/Kappa RPs while browsing character pages aimlessly. I won't link to them, but anyone who likes Jameses and Libbies nearly as much as I do should ask for the link.)
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Anya » Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 pm

I actually stumbled upon this a while ago! I have no idea how though.

And also the kappa related one. The Libby/Moriarty is one of my favourites.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby AndaisQ » Sat May 17, 2014 6:15 am

Same here. It is very good, though I'm sorry if I technically wasn't supposed to see it.

I guess we just kind of wander through the digital space connected to Effulgence characters and devour what we find?
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby Alicorn » Sat May 17, 2014 8:27 am

Yeah, I've found a lot of stuff that way too. It's more security by obscurity than Actually Secret. I actually met kappa in the first place by stumbling on an RP that was Technically Not For Me To Read.

Edit: ...or not; the digital record is fuzzy on whether I did the finding described above before or after finding her via the post he made reccing Luminosity on her LJ. But I did find that RP in such a way as to send a message to her co-RP-er without mentioning kappa in those messages.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby cbhacking » Sat May 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Off topic, but... I'm pretty sure I've never seen somebody's pronouns change twice in one sentence before. At least, I *think* the antecedent to all of those is "kappa"... That's quite liberal use of interchangeability, though! There was slight parser confusion as to how many people were being referred to, there.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Yes. Strict alternation is one of the multiple correct ways to pronoun me.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby cbhacking » Sun May 18, 2014 12:41 am

Cool. I'm now wondering if I'd just failed to notice it before.

Back on topic, I'm sorry to hear Barbecue Forks isn't advancing any further. It was fun, and I like anything with those characters. I doubt I could pull off a story RP very well, though. I've never been any good at it. They're a lot of fun to read, though. I've gone wandering a bit myself, including at least one thread I'm pretty sure was Kappa-and-who-knows. If that's a thing I shouldn't be doing, I'll refrain; my default assumption is that if it's on the public Internet it's meant to be read, but that doesn't mean this is actually true. I'm new to this community.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Sun May 18, 2014 4:50 am

I think a safe default for stumbling over RP threads is that it's okay to read them, but if you don't know one or both writers well enough to ask, you should assume it would be impolite to link to it on the public internet somewhere and go "Look what I found!".
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Sun May 18, 2014 7:52 am

Since it's come up: Kappa, is using 'they' also a correct way to pronoun you?
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Next

Return to Spoilerland!