Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Abandon ignorance, all ye who enter here. Ask and ye shall receive unmarked spoilers.

Re: Eclipse Worldbuilding Info

Postby Ezra » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Well, also the calorie demands of magic tend to make you hungry.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Psionic computers can exchange information with real computers, they just can't get real fancy. But yes, on a virtual computer an eclipsed kid could pilot a non-immersive SL avatar on regular SL.

Yes, uncontrolled psionics could affect technology, that's probably how it was discovered.

They can't give you a cooking class with real food, but they can demo it with virtual food. Eclipsed like food because they're hungry all the time (...I'm imagining it as like the first month of breastfeeding but way more so, which may not be an accessible metaphor for everyone, but I was constantly hungry in a way that made everything delicious and huge restaurant portions manageable, it was actually great) and because of this experience.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Adelene » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Alicorn wrote:You're supposed to be focusing on getting out of control training ASAP, so while you can self-educate via internet and have your family send you ebooks and do Khan Academy and stuff like that you are expected to mostly be contemplating How Not To Set Shit On Fire.

Is training duration a set time or do they have some way of monitoring the Setting Shit On Fire? Or there could be a test or something I guess.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Alicorn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 pm

There are psions who can tell if you're under control, which serves as double-check against an intuition the kids get.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 am

After seeing this premise it occurred to me that if interdimensional shenanigans happened during an eclipse that would make life interesting.

(Both because of simultaneous events and because the precogs and first responders would be primed to treat whatever as if an eclipsed was responsible but can't find them.)
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Nemo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:41 am

To be fair, an eclipsed probably would be responsible, at least in-setting.
Nemo

Postby atheistcanuck » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:01 pm

New method of interdimensional transport. As if we needed any more.
atheistcanuck

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Unbitwise » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 pm

It is weird that a psion can tell someone else “We're going to precog this thing for safety” and then say to do the thing and the someone never — not ‘notices they are in a precognition’, but doesn't even say “wait weren't you going to tell me how it comes out first” (which is not strictly the same thing).

Of course if this did happen the psion could lie (but then you have consistency issues for anything more complex than go/no-go).
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby DanielH » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Yeah, I thought of that too. What would happen if Sybil checked a plan a minute earlier than necessary for a report, then said “What did I tell you an hour ago?”
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 pm

mrrrrrr
Alicorn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Spoilerland!