Interest Check -- Play-by-Post RPG?

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Interest Check -- Play-by-Post RPG?

Postby Urpriest » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:10 am

Evocation really isn't that necessary, especially in a more investigation-focused campaign, so if that's what's holding you back it's probably not worth worrying about. There are lots of ways to deal with things besides blasting them with fire.
Urpriest

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:53 am

...So upon reading. I think my cleric (and a chunk of the Host's followers) are likely to consider warforged people or at least find it a question worth asking. One reason is the Warforged-marl thing, which sounds sort of like a divine sign.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Adelene » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:58 pm

I still haven't gone through the background reading, but I've been poking at how Lurker might be represented in the DnD system as a warforged (in 3.5, what I've heard of it makes me growl at 4), and one of the things that seems like it might work is a Paladin of Freedom but with the healing and undead-related stuff exchanged for the urban ranger's group-membership-based favored enemy kind of thing. Which is rather farther from the baseline rules than I'd expect most GMs to be okay with, but I think it might work okay here? I'm also looking at urban ranger, sneaky divination-focused sorcerer (probably my second choice but I'm displeased about sorcerers' skill situation), or rogue, but in general I'm having some trouble finding a class that fits her well. :\
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Urpriest » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Since we aren't using a specific system, you're probably fine if you're going for a skillset that's reasonably representable in the D&D rules, I don't think you need to be so specific as to pick an actual build. That said, if "sneaky caster" is your thing, there are totally guides for that...
Urpriest

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Adelene wrote:I still haven't gone through the background reading, but I've been poking at how Lurker might be represented in the DnD system as a warforged (in 3.5, what I've heard of it makes me growl at 4), and one of the things that seems like it might work is a Paladin of Freedom but with the healing and undead-related stuff exchanged for the urban ranger's group-membership-based favored enemy kind of thing. Which is rather farther from the baseline rules than I'd expect most GMs to be okay with, but I think it might work okay here? I'm also looking at urban ranger, sneaky divination-focused sorcerer (probably my second choice but I'm displeased about sorcerers' skill situation), or rogue, but in general I'm having some trouble finding a class that fits her well. :\

I think there is a non-official class creating rules somewhere in the internet, which could guide your class changes...?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Adelene » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Ooh, that would probably help significantly, I'll see if I can find it.
Utility Admin
Adelene

Postby jalapeno_dude » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Adelene wrote:Ooh, that would probably help significantly, I'll see if I can find it.

One is here; never used it so not sure if it's any good.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:48 pm

jalapeno_dude wrote:
Adelene wrote:Ooh, that would probably help significantly, I'll see if I can find it.

One is here; never used it so not sure if it's any good.

I'm not entirely sure if was that one, but that helps some.
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby Urpriest » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:58 am

Alternatively, Adelene, what sort of abilities do you want your character to have? A lot of different things can be represented in the D&D system with some effort. Apart from being sneaky, how much spellcasting do you want/need, and what sorts of things do you want to be able to do with it?
Urpriest

Postby Adelene » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:24 am

I'm more looking for a coherent and character-compatible story for the skillset than a particular skillset in and of itself, is part of the thing. There are some skill things or skill-suggesting things with Lurker but not many: She tends to have a strong goal that she works largely alone on, so she needs to be competent to do that, and she's supposed to have some kind of low-level or support-only medical skill plus a fairly broad range of basics - this instance may not know how to cook in particular, but the thing where she was dropped into someone's life and was able to look around and go 'what needs doing most?' and have a basic ability to do that thing is characteristic of her, which suggests I want a build with decent class skills and skill points per level. The other big thing is that she has an innate talent that's unusual for her species and useful - for the kobold version that's talking; for this one it could be any number of things - for the sorcerer version my thought was that her divination abilities would be an extension of standard golems' magical senses, for example.

I dunno, maybe I'll just multiclass. Rogue 2/Sorcerer 2 will more or less do what I want, I think, particularly if I go with the variant where rogues get fighter feats rather than sneak attacks. (Lurkers run pretty nonviolent in most cases, and fighter feats give her more options for fighting to subdue than sneak attacks do.)
Utility Admin
Adelene

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games