Elcenia Mafia Post Mortem

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Elcenia Mafia Post Mortem

Postby Aestrix » Wed May 20, 2015 4:04 pm

I mean, has day 1 RNG lynching brought any fun to the game? Because I can guarantee it took fun away for at least one player.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Wed May 20, 2015 4:08 pm

hopefully the wild accusations would start to subside after a day or so and they would lead to soemthing firmer -- maybe not a correct thing but still a thing and then the next day we can analyse who jumped on the wagon for what reasons and go on from there. the first day's lynch provides information if it's not done at random. if it's done at random, all possible information is removed from it.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed May 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Aestrix wrote:I mean, has day 1 RNG lynching brought any fun to the game? Because I can guarantee it took fun away for at least one player.

I'm sorry Aestrix! :( I can only imagine it'd be even worse for a pure vanilla townie, who'd have no real way to defend themselves.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Aestrix » Wed May 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Not your fault, and no hard feelings for any of it. Just: yes. It sucked. A lot.
Aestrix

Postby BlueSkySprite » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

I also really did not have fun being selected by the first RNG in Effulgence Mafia, and I am kind of surprised that I survived it.
I'm not sure that even would have worked if it'd chosen anyone who gave out less vibes of "panicky and incompetent but probably not evil."

I expect it would also not be fun to be the person who is murdered in the night on the first night before even doing anything, though.
BlueSkySprite

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Wed May 20, 2015 4:16 pm

i haven't been selected by RNG yet but I also find them unfun.

Our mafia team didn't nightkill modrony or anyone who wasn't in the first game on the first night because we felt it would be unfair. (we would have spared andais too). After the first night anyone was fair game. I think future mafia teams should also use this strategy (unless there's some really obvious target for a strong power role, but if the town plays well, there shouldn't be).
Shoal

Postby Alicorn » Wed May 20, 2015 4:22 pm

The rationale for starting on a Day is that we think it would be really unfun to sign up to play a mafia game and then not get to talk.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed May 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Alicorn wrote:The rationale for starting on a Day is that we think it would be really unfun to sign up to play a mafia game and then not get to talk.

Hmm. In an IRL game the compensation is that you get to watch everything that's going on and laugh at people's incompetence. In an online game the same thing is true and you also get to find out all the neat details about powers and stuff. Still, maybe this isn't enough compensation given that the pacing is slower. (IRL if you die you know you'll be able to participate in another game pretty quickly, but here it takes weeks/months.)

Maybe this is an argument for giving the first person (or the first couple people) to die some special role? E.g. they could have picked who the demon would possess in this game, or they could "haunt" someone left alive at night, or something like that. I'm sure collectively we could come up with lots of ideas of this type. (It's true that they still probably wouldn't get to talk in-thread, I guess.)
jalapeno_dude

Postby Shoal » Wed May 20, 2015 4:31 pm

what if no kill is allowed on night 0? or if the person who dies on night 0 is allowed to communicate with one player.

pedit: what jalapeno said, yeah
Shoal

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Shoal wrote:what if no kill is allowed on night 0? or if the person who dies on night 0 is allowed to communicate with one player

If no kill is allowed on night 0, we're back to the situation we started with. :p But yeah, some sort of communication could work.
jalapeno_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games