Elcenia Mafia Post Mortem

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Elcenia Mafia Post Mortem

Postby Shoal » Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 pm

I’d be going back towards worried that i’d misplayed if i were crosskilled as scum on night 1 because scum are supposed to be hunting each other and it meant i was being more suspicious than is optimal. but yeah, dead player hangout. i find LYLO stressful and i find being a townie stressful.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby DanielH » Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 pm

The dead players’ chat can be found here. I plan to add formatting and stuff later, but that is taking longer than expected so I’m publishing the unformatted version now.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed May 20, 2015 11:34 pm

deathchat wrote:(07:47:19 PM) DanielH: Why did jalapeno keep it to himself and how’d he figure it out?
(07:47:33 PM) Alicorn: He didn't want to give Aestrix time to defend herself
(07:47:54 PM) Alicorn: and I don't know, by being AIXI in a capsicum costume or something, I don't know XDDDD
Alicorn has compared me to Strong AI. I can die happy now (but won't because that's not a very Strong AI-ish thing to do..)!
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby pistachi0n » Wed May 20, 2015 11:49 pm

How do you think the game would have been different if Aestrix hadn't been outed as traitor on Day 1?

If she had been too obvious in the main thread, she would have been nightkilled. Her best hope would be that the people in line to assign the kill ahead of her all die, but only people below her died. Maybe that would have been different if she were alive, though, but again, she wouldn't be able to engineer votes towards jalapeno_dude without everyone in the mafia knowing she's the traitor.

If Keo had established a private chat channel with her, though...

Oh, one suggestion for making future games more fun would be to somehow avoid speculation on whatever roles Alicorn might have given somebody. I have no idea what tipped jalapeno_dude off that Aestrix was the traitor, but I do remember being a little suspicious myself when she said that she had asked Alicorn to give her a role she could have fun with.
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu May 21, 2015 12:17 am

pistachi0n wrote:I have no idea what tipped jalapeno_dude off that Aestrix was the traitor

As far as I remember, it was entirely a gut feeling. Aestrix and I had an exchange about me taking revenge on her for last game (by being the one who could let her out to kill, not vice versa) which seemed entirely innocuous to me at the time, but the more I thought about it the more it sat wrongly with me, and I managed to convince myself by the night before the Day 1 deadline that she was probably the traitor. (I was totally terrified that I was wrong and that I would be a BAD CULT LEADER, though!) I decided not to say anything until right before the vote because there was no point in revealing my knowledge if we couldn't actually lynch her, but when I woke up the next morning it looked like we'd be able to manage it.

More generally: Alicorn, you seem to beating yourself up a little bit about the game being unbalanced. I think that's not actually true. We got *insanely* lucky that THE RNG picked Aestrix--in 18/19 universes, that didn't happen and Mafia probably lost in most of them. And we *still* needed michaelblume dropping out, Alphabeta and modrony getting unlucky in their reads, synergy between Tamien and listposts, modrony picking Shoal instead of me to possess, and THE COIN to actually pull the win off. All of those things were more or less entirely out of our control.
jalapeno_dude

Postby Alicorn » Thu May 21, 2015 12:26 am

Aestrix actually wouldn't have been allowed to talk to Keo. (Keo could have talked to her, but Aestrix would just have gotten a message saying "there's a strange devil-voice in your head. It's very scary, and whatever you do, you're not going to answer! Yikes!")
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Alphabeta » Thu May 21, 2015 12:32 am

So, we got taken out by Ryganaavlanik. All other versions of our characters will mock us forever in Useless Metagaming Milliways.
Alphabeta

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 am

Alphabeta wrote:Useless Metagaming Milliways.

Next sandbox?
jalapeno_dude

Postby Nemo » Thu May 21, 2015 12:38 am

Before it started we (mostly me; it probably got pretty annoying eventually) were quavering back and forth a lot about how many members the mafia should have. We went with the larger number.

The way it actually turned out, with the traitor revealed day 1 and the demon not possessing mafia members until the end, it would have been more even with one fewer member. The ending wasn't as exciting as it could have been.

But I'm not prepared to say the number was wrong, because what actually happened was practically everything going right for mafia. Both things in their control and out of it. If PDV had decided to possess Tamien as he originally planned, all future demons would have known who mafia were and could have utterly dominated. Or if the trustworthy members had died early, the mafia could have been shredded from the inside.
Nemo

Postby pistachi0n » Thu May 21, 2015 12:45 am

Alicorn wrote:Aestrix actually wouldn't have been allowed to talk to Keo. (Keo could have talked to her, but Aestrix would just have gotten a message saying "there's a strange devil-voice in your head. It's very scary, and whatever you do, you're not going to answer! Yikes!")

Would that have happened to true mafia as well?

We were also insanely lucky that we killed Rhysel on night 1.
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games