Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Postby Bethesda » Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Ugh. Spend a clue.
Bethesda

Pronouns: He, him, his

Postby Thatwasademo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Michael McGlen (Bethesda) tries to comprehend the monsters he faced earlier and ease his worried mind. (Spending 2 Clues; 0 remain) Unfortunately, it doesn't work. {1,3; FAIL}

Turn 1: Mythos
Fourth of July Parade!
A gate to R'lyeh opens in The Witch House, advancing the Doom Track (2/13), destroying 1 Clue and releasing a High Priest and Ghost.
A second Clue appears in the Black Cave.
The High Priest moves into the French Hill streets.
(Headline) Investigators cannot move into our out of the Merchant District streets until the end of next turn.
Gloria Goldberg (jalapeno_dude) becomes First Player.

Turn 2: Upkeep
Possessions ready.
Carolyn Fern (Aestrix) restores 1 Sanity to herself.

Gloria Goldberg (jalapeno_dude): 4/6 Sanity, 4/4 Stamina, 2 Focus, $7, 2 Clues, First Player
Code: Select all
Speed 1 2 [3] 4 | Fight 0 [1] 2 3 | Lore 1 2 [3] 4
Sneak 3 2 [1] 0 | Will  5 [4] 3 2 | Luck 5 4 [3] 2

Psychic Sensitivity (Innate): Other World Encounter: When drawing gate encounters in Other Worlds, Gloria draws two cards that match the color of one of the Other World's encounter symbols, then chooses whichever one of the two she wants. This ability does not work when drawing location encounters in Arkham.
Lore (Skill): +1 Lore. When you spend a Clue token to add to any Lore check, add one extra bonus die.
.38 Revolver (Physical Weapon, 1 Hand, $4 Common Item): +3 Combat check.
.38 Revolver (Physical Weapon, 1 Hand, $4 Common Item): +3 Combat check.
Shrivelling (Magical Spell, 1 Hand): Casting Modifier: -1, Sanity Cost: 1, Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to gain +6 to Combat checks until the end of this combat.
Heal (Magical Spell): Casting Modifier: +1, Sanity Cost: 1, Upkeep: You may cast and exhaust. You or another investigator in your area gains Stamina equal to the successes you rolled on your Spell check. This Stamina cannot be split between multiple investigators.
Trophies: Cultist(1T), Dark Young(3T)

Mandy Thompson (Tamien): 5/5 Sanity, 5/5 Stamina, 2 Focus, $6, 4 Clues
Speed 1 2 3 [4] | Fight 0 [1] 2 3 | Lore 1 2 [3] 4
Sneak 5 4 3 [2] | Will  5 [4] 3 2 | Luck 3 2 [1] 0

Research (Innate): Any Phase: Once per turn, Mandy can activate this ability after any investigator (including herself) makes a skill check. That investigator then re-rolls all of the dice rolled for that check that did not result in successes.
Speed (Skill): +1 Speed. When you spend a Clue token to add to any Speed check, add one extra bonus die.
Ancient Tome (Tome, $4 Common Item): Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore (-1) check. If you pass, draw 1 Spell and discard Ancient Tome. If you fail, nothing happens.
Tommy Gun (Physical Weapon, 2 Hands, $7 Common Item): +6 Combat check.
Cabala of Saboth (Tome, $5 Unique Item): Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore (-2) check. If you pass, draw 1 Skill and discard Cabala of Saboth. If you fail, nothing happens.

Michael McGlen (Bethesda): 1/3 Sanity, 7/7 Stamina, 1 Focus, $8, 0 Clues
Speed  2 [3] 4 5 | Fight 3 4 [5] 6 | Lore 0 [1] 2 3
Sneak  4 [3] 2 1 | Will  4 3 [2] 1 | Luck 3 [2] 1 0

Strong Body (Innate): Any Phase: Michael reduces all Stamina losses he suffers by 1, to a minimum of 0.
Stealth (Skill): Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll an Evade check.
Dynamite (Physical Weapon, 2 Hands, $4 Common Item): +8 to one Combat check. (Discard after use)
Tommy Gun (Physical Weapon, 2 Hands, $7 Common Item): +6 Combat check.
Holy Water (Magical Weapon, 2 Hands, $4 Unique Item): +6 to one Combat check. (Discard after use)
Trophies: Formless Spawn(2T)

Kate Winthrop (pistachi0n): 6/6 Sanity, 4/4 Stamina, 1 Focus, $13, 2 Clues
Speed 1 2 [3] 4 | Fight 1 [2] 3 4 | Lore 2 [3] 4 5
Sneak 5 4 [3] 2 | Will  3 [2] 1 0 | Luck 4 [3] 2 1

Science! (Innate): Any Phase: Gates and monsters cannot appear in Kate's location due to her flux stabilizer. Monsters and gates do not disappear if she enters their location, however, and monsters can move into her location as usual.
Sneak (Skill): +1 Sneak. When you spend a Clue token to add to any Sneak check, add one extra bonus die.
Cross (Magical Weapon, 1 Hand, $3 Common Item): +0 Combat check (+3 if Opponent is Undead). +1 Horror check.
Healing Stone ($8 Unique Item): Upkeep: You may gain 1 Stamina or 1 Sanity. Discard Healing Stone if the Ancient One awakens.
Bind Monster (Magical Spell, 2 Hands): Casting Modifier: +4, Sanity Cost: 2, Any Phase: Cast and Discard this spell to pass one Combat check. You must roll successes equal to the monster's toughness to cast this spell. This spell doesn't work on Ancient Ones.
Wither (Magical Spell, 1 Hand): Casting Modifier: +0, Sanity Cost: 0, Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to gain +3 to Combat checks until the end of this combat.

Carolyn Fern (Aestrix): 6/6 Sanity, 4/4 Stamina, 2 Focus, $7, 2 Clues
Speed 0 1 2 [3] | Fight 1 2 [3] 4 | Lore 2 3 [4] 5
Sneak 3 2 1 [0] | Will  4 3 [2] 1 | Luck 5 4 [3] 2

Psychology (Innate): Upkeep: Dr. Fern may restore 1 Sanity to herself or another character in her location. She cannot raise a character's Sanity higher than that character's maximum Sanity.
Bravery (Skill): Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll a Horror check.
Cultes Des Goules (Tome, $3 Unique Item): Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore (-2) check. If you pass, draw 1 Spell and gain 1 Clue token, but lose 2 Sanity and discard Cultes Des Goules. If you fail, nothing happens.
.18 Derringer (Physical Weapon, 1 Hand, $3 Common Item): +2 Combat check. .18 Derringer cannot be lost or stolen unless you choose to allow it.
Cavalry Saber (Physical Weapon, 1 Hand, $3 Common Item): +2 Combat check.
Heal (Magical Spell): Casting Modifier: +1, Sanity Cost: 1, Upkeep: You may cast and exhaust. You or another investigator in your area gains Stamina equal to the successes you rolled on your Spell check. This Stamina cannot be split between multiple investigators.

The List:
City of the Great Race (Woods): +0 / Triangle
R'lyeh (The Witch House): -3 / Cross
High Priest (French Hill): Movement: Normal / Cross, Evade: -2, Horror: +1 / 1 Sanity, Combat: -2 / 2 Toughness / 2 Stamina; Magical Immunity.
Ghost (The Witch House): Movement: Stationary / Crescent, Evade: -3, Horror: -2 / 2 Sanity, Combat: -3 / 1 Toughness / 2 Stamina; Physical Immunity, Undead.
The Merchant District will reopen at the end of this turn.

Everyone may spend Focus to adjust their skill sliders.
jalapeno_dude, please post your intended movement.
Last edited by Thatwasademo on Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thatwasademo

Pronouns: 'he' or any other by whim

Postby Thatwasademo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Man, sorry Bethesda. Hopefully there isn't anything horrifying in The City of the Great Race and you can return home safely.

We can all dream, right?
Thatwasademo

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu May 21, 2015 9:42 pm

I am planning to move to the Curiositie Shoppe and hopefully buy an Elder Sign, but I'd like a clarification first: when I draw the 3 items instead of having an encounter, am I *forced* to buy one of them, or am I allowed to discard all of them instead? (I am planning to save my money for an Elder Sign, and this won't work if I *have* to buy something on the first turn I'm there and don't have the money to buy a Sign later.)
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Thatwasademo » Thu May 21, 2015 9:43 pm

You may buy exactly zero or one of the items drawn in a shop. Either way, having used the location's ability, your turn in the Arkham Encounters phase ends and you do not draw an encounter card.
Thatwasademo

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu May 21, 2015 10:31 pm

Okay, great. In that case I'll indeed head to the Shoppe. I'll also adjust my skills like so:
Speed 1 2 3 [4] | Fight 0 1 [2] 3 | Lore 1 2 [3] 4
Sneak 3 2 1 [0] | Will  5 4 [3] 2 | Luck 5 4 [3] 2
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Bethesda » Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Who's being driven insane by unspeakable monstrosities now?

Speed  2 [3] 4 5 | Fight 3 [4] 5 6 | Lore 0 [1] 2 3
Sneak  4 [3] 2 1 | Will  4 [3] 2 1 | Luck 3 [2] 1 0

Still me.
Bethesda

Pronouns: He, him, his

Postby Thatwasademo » Thu May 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Turn 2: Upkeep
Tamien, pistachi0n, and Aestrix may still spend Focus.

Turn 2: Movement
Gloria Goldberg (jalapeno_dude) travels {Downtown, Northside, Curiositie Shoppe}.

Tamien, please post your intended movement and skill allocation.
Thatwasademo

Postby pistachi0n » Thu May 21, 2015 11:52 pm

I'm not spending focus. I'm currently happy with my skills where they are.
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby Aestrix » Fri May 22, 2015 4:50 pm

I would like to spend focus to do the following:

Speed 0 1 2 [3] | Fight 1 [2] 3 4 | Lore 2 3 [4] 5
Sneak 3 2 1 [0] | Will  4 [3] 2 1 | Luck 5 4 [3] 2

I'd like to read my other tome, but I really don't want to hang out in this spot any longer than necessary. Everyone, is the middle of the street a safe place to read? Or should I just run to the newspaper (since jalapeno will be handling the shoppe) and hang out there to read next turn and possibly get a retainer so we can afford more stuff, and possibly elder signs?
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games