Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:12 pm

That would require you to make Sneak checks with 0 dice (before spending clues), are you sure?

You could also stop in the Easttown streets and fight, in which case you should probably indicate the order in which you fight and whether you would like to cast Shrivelling.

Also, if you want to lower your speed in light of the fact that you're pinned, I'm generally okay with doing that in the Movement phase when nobody else has affected your path.
Last edited by Thatwasademo on Tue May 19, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatwasademo

Pronouns: 'he' or any other by whim

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Can't I choose to fight the monster instead of sneaking when moving through (1st paragraph of evading monsters, p. 14)?

Do I get to pick which order I fight the monsters in? If so I want to fight the cultist using the two guns and save Withering for the Dark Young (assuming I'm understanding correctly that they count as two separate encounters, so I can't use Withering now and have it apply to both).
Last edited by jalapeno_dude on Tue May 19, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:24 pm

jalapeno_dude wrote:Can't I choose to fight the monster instead of sneaking when moving through (1st paragraph of evading monsters, p. 14)?

Do I get to pick which order I fight the monsters in? If so I want to fight the cultist using the two guns and save Withering for the Dark Young.

Yes, but when you fight a monster your movement must end.

Yes. You can even change this order based on how each fight goes if there's three or more monsters, and choose what items you're using in combat between the Horror and Combat checks.

Withering does indeed only last for a single monster, and can only be used once per turn.

I'm going to execute your orders and assume that you want to cast Shrivelling (not Withering, Shrivelling is the more powerful version and the card you actually have) unless that would cause you to go insane, at which point I'll stop again.
Thatwasademo

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 7:29 pm

Thatwasademo wrote:
jalapeno_dude wrote:Can't I choose to fight the monster instead of sneaking when moving through (1st paragraph of evading monsters, p. 14)?

Do I get to pick which order I fight the monsters in? If so I want to fight the cultist using the two guns and save Withering for the Dark Young.

Yes, but when you fight a monster your movement must end.

I'm confused. The rules say
p. 6 wrote:Each time an
investigator attempts to leave a location or street area
occupied by one or more monster markers, the investigator
must either fight or evade each of the monsters there
(see “Evading Monsters” and “Combat” on pages 14 for
more information).
and
p. 14 wrote: Regardless of whether or not any further
evade attempts succeed, the investigator’s movement
is finished as soon as he fails even one evade
check.
I interpreted that as saying I could keep moving if I just chose to fight the monsters instead of trying to evade (since I wouldn't actually ever be making evade checks so couldn't be failing them).

Regardless of that, I do want to fight the monsters as described (casting Shrivelling on the Dark Young).
jalapeno_dude

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 pm

The paragraph immediately following reads "Once an investigator begins combat with a monster for any reason, his movement is over. Regardless of whether or not he wins the battle, the investigator loses the rest of his movement points and must remain where he is".

(also i'm actually using a quick reference sheet included in the Vassal module rather than the rules directly in general, so exact wordings may be off unless I indicate that I am quoting like I just did)
Thatwasademo

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Thatwasademo wrote:The paragraph immediately following reads "Once an investigator begins combat with a monster for any reason, his movement is over. Regardless of whether or not he wins the battle, the investigator loses the rest of his movement points and must remain where he is".

(also i'm actually using a quick reference sheet included in the Vassal module rather than the rules directly in general, so exact wordings may be off unless I indicate that I am quoting like I just did)
OK. You're definitely right but I find all of this confusing. It means I can't leave a square with monsters on it except by sneaking, even if I start there. This is contrary to my D&D intuition. [ /whine]
jalapeno_dude

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:47 pm

Turn 1: Movement
Gloria Goldberg (jalapeno_dude) travels {Easttown}, and confronts the Cultist:
No Horror check is required.
Combat (-2)[1]: {4, 1, 3, 6, 4; PASS}
She collects the Cultist as a 1 toughness trophy and confronts the Dark Young:
Horror (+0): {5, 2, 2, 1; PASS} Nightmarish 1 (5/6)
Casting Shrivelling (-1): {3, 1, 6; PASS} Sanity cost 1 (4/6)
Combat (-1)[3]: {2, 3, 3, 2, 6, 2, 5, 1; FAIL} 3 damage (1/4)

jalapeno_dude, do you wish to spend clues to add bonus dice or take the damage and roll all 8 dice again?
Tamien's movement orders are recorded.
Bethesda, please post your intended movement.
Thatwasademo

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Well, damn. Advice, folks? My gut feeling is that I should take the damage and roll the dice again, only spending clues the 2nd time around if I need to, since it seems like stamina is pretty cheap in this particular game.
jalapeno_dude

Postby Tamien » Tue May 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Dark Young are bad news. Stamina is cheap, but another hit will land you in the Hospital less a bunch of your items. You can only cast Heal during upkeep, right?
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 8:19 pm

That is correct, Heal is an upkeep trigger, as is the Healing Stone.
Thatwasademo

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games