Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Aestrix wrote:Hee.

Right then. Is there any issue with me using my move to grab the clue in independence square and read about nameless cults?

Aestrix, that seems fine to me. I am planning to grab clues, but I can start with Hibb's Roadhouse and then move vaguely south.

(The rules inform me there are 39 Unique Items, so it does not seem worthwhile for me to head to the Curiositie Shoppe and hang out there hoping for an Elder Sign).

Assigning my stats:
Code: Select all
Speed 1 2 [3] 4 | Fight 0 [1] 2 3 | Lore 1 2 [3] 4
Sneak 3 2 [1] 0 | Will  5 [4] 3 2 | Luck 5 4 [3] 2

Do I need to specify what I'm carrying in each hand or can I adjust that on the fly?
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 6:37 pm

You specify what you're carrying in each hand immediately before each combat check. Normally this will be obvious and I'll simply give you the highest bonus possible, but if you have (for instance) one use items, I'll need you to confirm that you're going to use them.

Counting the Unique Item deck, there appear to be 34 cards at the moment.
Thatwasademo

Pronouns: 'he' or any other by whim

Postby Tamien » Tue May 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Independence Square is a notoriously unstable location (ie, it's one of the most likely spots for a gate to open up, tied with The Woods, The Witch House, and Unvisited Isle). Those four locations also have Encounter lists that feel pretty weighted towards negative outcomes (at least, that's the impression I've gotten). Staying in Arkham Asylum and reading a bigger book will probably get you personally a better outcome this turn. Buuut we're up against Hastur and clues are at a premium. I think going is probably worth it.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Aestrix » Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Mhm. That's about what I was thinking.

I would like to go to independence square, and read my tome about nameless cults.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Thatwasademo wrote:Counting the Unique Item deck, there appear to be 34 cards at the moment.

Because 5 were assigned during setup, I guess. Mild bad luck that we didn't get an Elder Sign then (it was basically a coinflip). Okay.

Actually, I guess that means there's a roughly 1-(30*29*28)/(34*33*32)=32% chance of getting an Elder Sign each turn someone spends at the Curiositie Shoppe. Do people think that's worth doing?
Last edited by jalapeno_dude on Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jalapeno_dude

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Turn 1: Upkeep
Initial skills have been set.

Turn 1: Movement
Carolyn Fern (Aestrix) reads Nameless Cults {5, 3, 2; PASS}, discarding it, drawing a spell: Heal, and losing 1 Sanity (5/6), then travels {Downtown, Independence Square}, collecting 1 Clue (2).

Carolyn Fern (Aestrix): 5/6 Sanity, 4/4 Stamina, 2 Focus, $7, 2 Clues, First Player
Code: Select all
Speed 0 1 2 [3] | Fight 1 2 [3] 4 | Lore 2 3 [4] 5
Sneak 3 2 1 [0] | Will  4 3 [2] 1 | Luck 5 4 [3] 2

Psychology (Innate): Upkeep: Dr. Fern may restore 1 Sanity to herself or another character in her location. She cannot raise a character's Sanity higher than that character's maximum Sanity.
Bravery (Skill): Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll a Horror check.
Cultes Des Goules (Tome, $3 Unique Item): Movement: Exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore (-2) check. If you pass, draw 1 Spell and gain 1 Clue token, but lose 2 Sanity and discard Cultes Des Goules. If you fail, nothing happens.
.18 Derringer (Physical Weapon, 1 Hand, $3 Common Item): +2 Combat check. .18 Derringer cannot be lost or stolen unless you choose to allow it.
Cavalry Saber (Physical Weapon, 1 Hand, $3 Common Item): +2 Combat check.
Heal (Magical Spell): Casting Modifier: +1, Sanity Cost: 1, Upkeep: You may cast and exhaust. You or another investigator in your area gains Stamina equal to the successes you rolled on your Spell check. This Stamina cannot be split between multiple investigators.

jalapeno_dude, please post your intended movement.
Thatwasademo

Postby Aestrix » Tue May 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Personally I think so, jalapeno, because we can get other useful items from the shoppe and we need eight clues to close gates. But I am also kinda new at this, so xD
Aestrix

Postby Thatwasademo » Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 pm

jalapeno_dude wrote:Actually, I guess that means there's a roughly 1-(30*29*28)/(34*33*32)=32% chance of getting an Elder Sign each turn someone spends at the Curiositie Shoppe. Do people think that's worth doing?

I mean, there are other items worth buying. Like Magical Weapons. Just make sure you have $5 to spare if you're trying to buy an Elder Sign.

Also, Aestrix just got incredibly lucky because a Carolyn Fern with Heal means unlimited Stamina.
Last edited by Thatwasademo on Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatwasademo

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 pm

I'll move to Hibb's Roadhouse and take the clue, as planned.

(In retrospect it might have been better for me to set my initial speed to 4 and go directly for the Curiositie Shoppe to try for an Elder Sign (which apparently has a 1/3 chance of coming up given), but alas the upkeep phase has ended so I cannot do that. Tamien, maybe it's worth you doing that this turn instead of what you'd planned? I may try to do that next turn regardless.)
jalapeno_dude

Postby Aestrix » Tue May 19, 2015 7:10 pm

BWUAHAHAHAHAHA FEAR ME AND MY POWER! :D
Aestrix

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games