Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Arkham Horror: Great Old One? Eh, just shoot it.

Postby Tamien » Sat May 16, 2015 8:11 am

Ooh, I'd like to request Mandy Thompson. I like playing as her.
Tamien

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Sat May 16, 2015 8:35 am

Is there a VASSAL module for Eldritch Horror? Having played a couple dozen games of Arkham and a couple of Eldritch Horror, it's better in every way (including the difficulty being appropriately hard, which Arkham always fell down on).

Also, the Arkham Horror rulebook is scarier than the Necronomicon or Cthulhu. I'm pretty sure we didn't figure out the rules completely for about a dozen games.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby pistachi0n » Sat May 16, 2015 8:39 am

Ooh, I'd like to be Kate Winthrop.
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby Aestrix » Sat May 16, 2015 8:43 am

Hmm. Upon looking at them and realizing there might be a lot of us sneaking about casting spells - I'll be Carolyn Fern, and be Designated Sanity Keeper and caster. I like being supportive, anyway xD

EDIT: People that have played before, please note that I'm pretty willing to change if it's tactically viable; this seems to be a game of cooperation and teamwork. I take that sort of thing to heart, do not think that because I've said basic preferences that I find them more important than anything else - it's more of a 'I don't actually know what I'm doing, so I will go with the vague preferences.' If there's something obviously tactically viable I will happily go with that instead with no regrets.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bethesda » Sat May 16, 2015 12:13 pm

I think I'm interested, but I haven't finished reading the rules yet.
Bethesda

Pronouns: He, him, his

Postby Thatwasademo » Sat May 16, 2015 3:54 pm

PlainDealingVillain wrote:Is there a VASSAL module for Eldritch Horror?

Unfortunately, there is no publically available Eldritch Horror module. There is a Tabletop Simulator workshop item though?
Thatwasademo

Pronouns: 'he' or any other by whim

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun May 17, 2015 12:05 am

Okay, I have now read the rules and think I roughly understand them (though I would like to look at some of the encounters/monsters/items to see the typical numbers on them). I don't feel qualified to pick a character, so just assign someone who meshes well with the characters already chosen.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Thatwasademo » Sun May 17, 2015 1:08 am

jalapeno_dude wrote:I don't feel qualified to pick a character, so just assign someone who meshes well with the characters already chosen.

I won't be making decisions like this for you, since I'm supposed to be an impartial moderator, so you'll be getting a random character. Do note that the choice of character isn't a particularly important choice in this game: it may change how you play somewhat, but basically any team can be successful if they play to their characters' strengths.

Edit: Oh, and if you want to take a look at some items, note that the character names in the first post link to a wiki. This wiki has other information on it, which you can use if you want. You may also want to let yourself be surprised. Who am I to judge?
Thatwasademo

Pronouns: 'he' or any other by whim

Postby DanielH » Sun May 17, 2015 8:47 am

I have played Arkham Horror a few times. I don’t want to play now, but I’m wondering: It takes forever when everybody is physically present. I can’t imagine a play-by-post game taking anywhere near a reasonable amount of time, for pretty much any definition of “reasonable”.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun May 17, 2015 2:17 pm

DanielH wrote:I have played Arkham Horror a few times. I don’t want to play now, but I’m wondering: It takes forever when everybody is physically present. I can’t imagine a play-by-post game taking anywhere near a reasonable amount of time, for pretty much any definition of “reasonable”.

Having done some play-by-post D&D: this is generally true for everything play-by-post. But it seems like we have a better chance of avoiding the usual problem, that people ditch and the game never finishes, because everyone is already independently motivated to hang out on this forum anyway.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games