Mafia: Effulgent Edition

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Re: Mafia: Effulgent Edition

Postby Shoal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Pistachi0n, when did you figure out that all the killers had died? I suspected it earlier, but I was sure once Anthusiasm said "I am not suspicious of BlueSkySprite because from the way she described it, the wording of her PM was really similar to the wording of mine, and I am also a townie with no powers." here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=272&p=10574#p10574

And I similarly knew thatwasademo was innocent before we had him killed for the same reason. My original PM said "You are a regular just plain folks townie, as far as you know (you have no powers we will tell you about at this time)." it seems like Ozy and I both interpreted this to mean that we had no powers, and demo and bss interpreted it to mean that they might have unknown powers.

I am curious whether any of us had powers after all (aside from BSS' doublevoter thing)

Daniel, why did you target me on night 1?

Alicorn, will the private channels be made public now that the game is over? If you want to get the consent of the participants first that's okay and consider my consent given.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby modrony » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I'd really like to see the cult-channel.

Paradox, jalapeno_dude, what made you guys target me on day 1?
modrony

Postby Lambda » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Lambda wrote:I want to wait for the current game to end and its secrets to be revealed before I start ruminating on further game designs.

So the reason I wanted to wait was in case this post ended up drawing attention to possibilities that were secretly true. (They weren't.)

For a while there I was honestly expecting the "lynch the gods" gimmick. Effulgent Mafia I, as it turns out, was basically just Mafia with an Effulgence-flavored coat of paint on it. I'd like to see something deeper.

Game mechanics mean things. Mafia is about paranoia, deceit, and mob mentality; it conveys the experience of a panicky irrational bloodthirsty mob. Likewise, Monopoly is about how capitalism causes power and wealth to aggregate inexorably into fewer and fewer people, while slowly grinding everyone else down in despair until they have nothing left. Go is about foresight, sunk costs, and probably lots of other things but I don't actually play Go.

I was hoping – am still hoping – to see a broadly-Mafia-format game that is, on a game-mechanics level, about something that its namesake continuity is about.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby pistachi0n » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:02 pm

@shoal: When there was no kill, I figured the killers were gone. Because why would they choose a no kill when a win is so close? Targeting BSS was my first anti-town action. Actually, at first I thought there were more than three killers and getting the killers was the biggest priority. But when I ruled more people out as killers,I knew the double vote would prevent a cult win. I sort of had that in the back of my head earlier but after the no kill night I thought it was urgent.
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby anthusiasm » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Extremely superficial question: when we called upon the power of THE COIN, did you flip an actual COIN, or did you use something else?

I just want to know if THE COIN has a physical presence.
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:15 pm

pistachi0n wrote:@shoal: When there was no kill, I figured the killers were gone. Because why would they choose a no kill when a win is so close? Targeting BSS was my first anti-town action. Actually, at first I thought there were more than three killers and getting the killers was the biggest priority. But when I ruled more people out as killers,I knew the double vote would prevent a cult win. I sort of had that in the back of my head earlier but after the no kill night I thought it was urgent.

My first antitown action was trying to get people I didn't think were killers lynched while hopefully holding some killers in reserve to see us to the end. However, I didn't know how many killers there were and I guessed wrong. I knew that we would be unlikely to win if we didn't keep a killer around until the end because the town really did have to go after the killers first. If you'd had access to the communication channel, we could have tried to co-ordinate this together, or at least have had two heads to put together on the "okay who should we push for a lynch today that we know isn't a killer" front.

My biggest mistake though was not targetting BSS sooner -- once the double voting was figured out, she should have been the first nonkiller to go. If we'd done BSS yesterday instead of demo then it would have come down to THE COIN today.

I thought there was a chance that the no killing was a gambit on behalf of the killers to get them to turn on the cult and then pick off the town, but it was only a small chance, and I knew the only possible killer left was anthusiasm, and then I knew that anthusiasm was clear too.

I was hoping that my ineptness at reading people would come to our advantage because if even I'm not sure whether I'm barking up the wrong tree, it won't be obvious that I'm being wrong on purpose -- but I did figure things out close to the end and that made it harder to pretend.

Daniel, alpha, do you both agree for the cult channel to be shared?

Jalapeno, paradox, tau, did you guys really not have a mafia channel? if you did, can we see it?
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I am going to hold off on answering questions until the Big Reveal in Alicorn's upcoming postmortem. Paradox and tau, and everyone else currently in the know--I suggest you do the same.

(After that, I will of course be happy to answer questions.)
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby DanielH » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:21 pm

I will avoid answering most questions, except for ones that are fairly unrelated.

Shoal, I don’t remember exactly why I voted for you. It was a combination of things I forgot to record; I’m planning on re-reading the thread and will post again when I get there and can better reconstruct things.

Pistachi0n, you were behaving suspiciously when it came to Michael; this was pointed out in-thread too. On day 2, when I wagoned him because nobody had much to go on, you didn’t join it (not in itself suspicious; my evidence was weak) and instead kept proposing alternatives (with what I at least thought was even less evidence). Somebody (I don’t remember who) commented on how your behavior only made sense if you were extremely against Michael’s wagon. You did that some more on day 3, and then Michael didn’t die. I wasn’t sure if you’d protected him or not, but both Shoal and I thought it likely that you knew something about him.

I’m okay with our channel being shared.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby pistachi0n » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Ah, me proposing random people on Day 2 was just me having no idea what I was doing. (But I suggested jalapeno_dude AND tau, but a broken clock is right twice a day!)
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby Alicorn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 pm

THE COIN consists of googling "coin flip". There is not a physical COIN.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Board Games