Mafia: Effulgent Edition

Not the kind with cardstock and pawns. Mostly play by post Mafia so far.

Mafia: Effulgent Edition

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Mafia is a party game with endless variations that needed one more.

Me and Nemo have invented Effulgence Mafia. I'm not going to tell you exactly what we invented, because some elaborate Mafia variations are more fun if nobody goes in knowing what all the roles are, and whether they'll all come into play depends on how many players we can attract. We need at least eight, and more will make it more fun; we can incorporate everything we had in mind if we get sixteen, and more beyond that means a longer game with more chance to see everything play out. PLEASE play if you have the slightest interest. I am willing to make people who privately request it passive-roled townsfolk when assigning parts so that they don't have to do anything complicated besides maybe get killed, if they prefer.

As normal Mafia, there is "night", for privately taken game actions including murder, and "day", for announcement of who died overnight, then public discussion followed by lynching through majority vote (ties will result in a coinflip-chosen lynch victim). There are townsfolk, who win if the killers are all dead, and killers, who win if everybody else is dead.

Everybody gets the name of an Effulgence character template to be. You can tell people who you are and what, if any, powers you have, if you want, but you can also freely lie/make things up, which might make it hard for people to believe you, and it might be a bad idea to tell the truth. You may choose to abstain from voting to lynch anybody.

The killers' win condition is the death of all non-killers. They have the option to not kill anybody.

Everything else is a secret!

I envision playing this in one sitting a few hours in length over IRC at some time convenient to all players, but I am open to other formats if that gets more participants (though I fear asynchronicity may encounter a problem with wrangling the players into getting everything turned in in a timely manner and may enable people to evaporate). Who (besides Nemo and kappa, who've seen the rules) wants in?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Mafia: Effulgent Edition

Postby Aestrix » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm

*raises hand*

Me, me, pick me!
Aestrix

Postby michaelblume » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Yes good =)
michaelblume

Pronouns: he/him

Postby pistachi0n » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Can I play?
pistachi0n

Pronouns: She/her

Postby Tulip » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh wow this sounds great. I love themed mafia games, and haven't played one in years. I'm in.

If we're doing it over IRC, does anyone have client recommendations? I don't typically use IRC outside of individual sites' chatboxes, but for something like this, I feel like a desktop client would probably be more convenient.
Tulip

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:07 pm

The default answer to "can I play" is ABSOLUTELY!

I use Adium for IRC. The server I tend to make rooms on also has a decent browser-viewing option.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Anya » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:11 pm

I don't want to play, but I'd love to observe!
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby BlueSkySprite » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Ooh! I am very interested in playing! I might or might not be available at a time, depending on homework. I am probably available in the afternoon tomorrow from around 5:30 to around 8:30, by this website's timezone. Also I have played Mafia and Werewolf before, but I have not played an IRC game before, is it hard to pick up on?
But this sounds really cool and I'd love to do it!
BlueSkySprite

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby futurevision » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:15 pm

I'd like to play as well, but I'm a pretty busy student, so I might not be available at a convenient time. Usually, after 9PM PST works for me.
futurevision

Postby Alicorn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:16 pm

I haven't played IRC Mafia before either! I think it should be pretty straightforward.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board Games