Alicornucopia [Alicorn Author Thread]

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Alicornucopia [Alicorn Author Thread]

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 pm

I just want to clarify that this Cosel is not the same Cosel as Effulgence/prior sandbox Cosel. It's inspired thereby but I have made a lot of changes to make it easier to run and less subject to "setting creep" (...the thing that happened to Daevinity where I kept going "yeah, I guess that has that implication and this would have been noticed over a hundred fifty years and there would be some way to address it, how about this" so if you go read Original Incandescent Daevinity it's kind of off). Therefore this Cosel has nerfed magic and is set in the late Bronze Age shortly after the invention of amulets and discovery of a dietary method of improving the odds of children being mages!
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby pedromvilar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Okay so I'm really curious about this setting is there going to be a worldbuilding thread?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Alicorn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Yeah, probably, sometime after I write one up for Disappear.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:10 pm

So, as I understand it, in Effulgence!Cosel, it is fatal to free an elemental because the elemental probably hates you. Is that the reason in the new one, or would releasing Penumbra actually be dangerous to Maurabel?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:54 am

In Effulgence!Cosel the elemental probably hates you and elementals are freed mostly by accident while under stress (because who would ever free an elemental deliberately, because everyone who does that dies...)

No idea what Silmaril!Cosel's deal is there.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Alicorn » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:14 pm

The elemental hates you and I have decided that being freed is really intense and even if the elemental is convinced that it would be bad game theory, or harmful to other elementals, or more likely to result in recapture, or something, for them to murder you, they are suddenly able to act on emotional impulses to harm in a way that they can't while there's an amulet stopping them, and that's gonna happen. You have to be not just a reasonably okay owner but basically never engender violence amounts of bad feeling over the course of your whole interaction with an elemental in order to survive freeing one.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Effulgence Cosel had wards against shadow scrying and I think shadow walking. Have those not been invented yet?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:15 pm

They have not!
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 am

Effulgence Cosel also had "purify things" (both 'remove poisons/pathogens from this area' and 'remove things that aren't this substance from this substance') as a fairly low-power Shine capability. Not sure whether that hasn't made it to the Silmaril Cosel in the first place, hasn't been invented/popularized yet, or didn't make it into discussions of possible magic decontamination procedures for other reasons. (Or maybe it got a mention and I missed it? idk, I'm not awake yet)
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby pedromvilar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I must've missed some part of the physical description of the elements because I have no idea what the halos have to do with touching reds or being clean or anything like that; aren't halos little aura things around the head or alternatively golden discs above it?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

PreviousNext

Return to Creations