Voiced versions of glowfic and/or Luminosity

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Voiced versions of glowfic and/or Luminosity

Postby Moriwen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Trying for inter-continuity consistency seems likely to doom the project; I vote we leave that be.

(I also don't particularly mind if voices don't match the characters' accents, but other people may be more bothered by that, idk.)

I vote for starting with In Spite of a Nail. For one thing, that'll give us a chance to experiment with the various glowfic-to-voice fiddly things (icons, &c); for another, Luminosity is a big project, which seems likely to risk things petering out if we try to start with it right off; and for a third, starting with sandboxes allows for more parallelizing.

Reply boundaries could presumably be communicated by having whoever's voicing the character also read any other text in posts by that character, rather than having one narrator reading all non-dialogue text for the whole thread; but I don't know how people would feel about doing that.

Screennames don't seem that necessary to include, but glowfic does have a certain tendency to have characters fail to introduce themselves; the names and templates of characters seem pretty important, and it's not obvious to me how to convey them. (A "dramatis personae" listing at the beginning?)

ETA: Another question: glowfic makes pretty heavy use of italics-for-telepathy (see: elfthreads). How do we want that conveyed?
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Timepoof » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 pm

I support starting with In Spite of a Nail.

Maybe there could be a little introduction at the beginning of a thread/whenever a new character is introduced to say their name plus aliases?

I actually liked the text to speech thing where it'd say "Post by [Name]" - maybe we could do that?

(Maybe there could be a video add-on thing for icons? Or a neutral voice narrating in places where facial expressions are particularly important/add to the scene?)

One thing that was annoying about the robot thing is - it was unclear what was spoken, what was telepathied, what was just a character's internal monologue. We need to figure out a system for this. Pretty important in glowfic.

ETA: You guys I emailed (*gives up on spelling first name*) Brodski, the guy behind the HPMOR podcast! No reply yet.

ETA2: mori! you skipped ahead :P I'm leaving this anyway I don't care.
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby RoboticLIN » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:37 pm

DanielH wrote:Unfortunately, Eclipse has a high concentration of romantic stuff.

The headset is named Eclipse, nothing about Eclipse in that. It's just kinda named funny.

Juuuust rather not have to try to flirt in any sort of manner. Such.
Aestrix is clearly the best person of all time, I worship the ground she walks on.
- Aestrix, upon adding her drawing to my avatar <3
RoboticLIN

Postby Moriwen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Oh, if anyone cares, here's a sample recording of me reading mortal is as mortal does (Promise and the admin).

(Thread chosen semi-randomly for having two female voices.)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:00 pm

I was considering emailing him, I hope he has useful advice.

I was thinking that one possibility for distinguishing replies would be to say a character’s name before their comments, or before the first of their comments in a given scene or otherwise useful, as if it were script for a play or movie. Adjectives could be added for icons when necessary. That seems like it might get clunky, but I’m not sure.

The way HPMoR distinguishes regular speech, thoughts, Legilimancy, and Parseltongue is a combination of sound effects and transformations. I bet something similar could work here. Regular audiobooks just use tone of voice.

In general I don’t care about accent matching, but it is explicitly mentioned a few times for In Spite of a Nail.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby quark » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Inter-continuity voice consistency would be lovely but is probably infeasible, especially given how much content there is involving, say, any given Bell. It seems like it would probably be too much work for one person, and that would be worse if we were trying to give all Forks-born female Bells the same voice. Another thing to think about is what we will do about alts, if we end up doing anything with a peal in it. It seems like it would probably get confusing to have the same person voice all of them, even if they were stating their name before they said anything.

I am in favour of starting with In Spite of a Nail or a similar sandbox; Luminosity is pretty long and a different format to the majority of glowfic (in terms of having a much higher ratio of narration to dialogue.)

I wasn't actually sure what you meant at first when you said reply boundaries, because it seemed to make intuitive sense to me that the person doing a character's dialogue for any given post would also read any other text in that post. That could get confusing sometimes, though, because occasionally authors post descriptions of things or similar through a character's account even though the character isn't talking; don't know whether we would want a separate narrator for things like that?
quark

Pronouns: they/them or she/her

Postby MTC » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:33 am

I make this post to register interest and excitement about this idea and to support the idea that voices and, more specifically, accents should match as closely as possible to those the characters would actually have. If I thought I’d have the time to do it I would offer my own voice acting, but unfortunately I probably don’t.
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby quark » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:11 am

I need a better microphone, but here is me reading the first paragraph of Fellowship of the Ring
quark

Pronouns: they/them or she/her

Postby Throne3d » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:37 am

Ooh, I like your voice, quark. … Are there any Australian or New Zealander characters? None are coming to mind.

I think starting off with one sandbox sounds like a good idea, to have practice on a non-immense writing piece. Trying for inter-continuity consistency does sound like it would be nigh-impossible, but intra-continuity (at least for small continuities, if we do them) sounds like it would be neat. Where possible, it'd be nice to do, but we shouldn't try for it too hard as I agree that it could kill the project.

I was also assuming people would read both the narration and the speech in a reply box, or alternatively they would only read speech and there would be a dedicated narrator (in which case reply boundaries don't seem to matter so much, as a lot of the narration doesn't need to be coded to a particular character.

(In cases where the narration uses pronouns and doesn't make clear to which character it's referring, except through which post it's in, it's possibly a good idea to explicitly say the name, though if that occurs we'd probably need to… decide or something. This problem sometimes occurs, for me, also when I'm reading threads and I still have the reply boundaries to help, where "He" doesn't clearly refer to either the reply's character nor the other character(s) in the thread until I've finished the sentence.)

I'm not sure I like the idea of doing it like a play, prefacing with the character name, but I'm also not particularly against the idea, and it could be hard to otherwise convey a lot of that information. I don't think screenname is necessary except for if we include it as part of an introduction, as Moriwen suggests. Icons… I'm also not sure about, and am sort of tempted to go for the "include a visual component" idea, but I'm not sure that's a good solution in the end. Dealing with empty replies where the only information is the icon would also be hard but could plausibly be done with, like, laughs or appropriate subvocal noises? Could be hard to do.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby pedromvilar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:41 am

Wizard of Woah!'s characters are Australian
Also children.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

PreviousNext

Return to Creations