Ezra's authorthread

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Ezra's authorthread

Postby DanielH » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:47 pm

If there’s a path that will satisfy any one virtue, how would you respond to something like “Come on, it can’t be that difficult. If you can’t tell me how to safely bind a demon in less than a hundred words, I’ll KNOW you’re hiding something”.

Yes, this example is a little ridiculous, but people demand simplified explanations all the time without realizing how simplified they are.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ezra » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:54 pm

I think honesty doesn't usually require letting people coerce information from you under the threat of false beliefs.

Alicorn wrote:Does "never willingly cause someone to believe a falsehood" include "do not give a simplified useful explanation which is not technically correct if you know the recipient will latch onto it"?

My instinct is that this is acceptably honest.
Last edited by Ezra on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezra

Postby Ezra » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:40 pm

When you take some action that breaks a Virtue you'd had, you experience a sense of loss. In the seven-year warm-up period, the strength is proportional to how long you've kept it. Under two or three years, you're somewhat unlikely to notice.

New virtues are usually discovered by somebody feeling this sense of loss at an unexpected time, then asking themselves "what did I just do differently from the past few years?"

There are orders (monastic, chivalric, fraternal, etc.) devoted to cultivating some particular virtue or combination of virtues. These have more power and recognition than in our world, because magic.
Ezra

Postby Shoal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 am

This is a list of 100 different virtues if you need more inspiration: https://www.virtuesproject.com/Pdf/100V ... andout.pdf

I think I remember that site having an even longer list but their site is hard to navigate.
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Ezra » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:02 am

Yes, this is good. I see some good ones in there. Thank you!
Ezra

Postby Shoal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm glad it helped! Also there's this which I've been reading through lately: http://psychologicalskills.org/parenting01.htm

It's a list of what the author calls 62 psychological skills but I think they're closer to virtues than anything, with some advice for figuring out which ones your kid needs help with and helping them to practice them.

I've been thinking of this list (and also the previous list of virtues) in terms of characterisation lately, about how a character could be better fleshed out by figuring out which virtues / psychological skills they excel at, which they really struggle with, and which ones they have in excess. For example, patience is a virtue and it's good to be patient because it means you can occupy yourself without getting bored. It supports other skills like diligence and meticulousness and being able to commit to a long term project and not getting discouraged when it takes years to come to frution -- but patience is the virtue that comes most naturally to me and I have so much of it that it wraps around and becomes a character flaw instead: I don't have a sense of urgency even when I'm in serious danger and I'm likely to tolerate things I shouldn't because my threshhold for "this is a problem" is too high; if I had a lower threshhold, I would be better at taking care of things before they reach a level where they actual bother me.

There are very few virtues that I think remain good even when taken to extremes, even moderation isn't among them! I think humanity is one of them, though: the idea that everyone is a person. I'm not sure how that one can go wrong.
Shoal

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Fetuses are people, therefore metaphorically burn the abortion-having witch.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 am

that doesn't work, because the abortion-having witch is a person too.

People who selectively consider some people to be people but not everybody (the fetus but not the abortion-haver) aren't practicing an excess of humanity because their not considering the mother to be a person cancels out their considering the fetus to be a person.
Shoal

Postby pedromvilar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 am

They may consider the mother to be a person and merely believe that punishment for ending people is being ended in order to create strong enough incentives for less people total to be ended.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Shoal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:40 am

that may be so, but I don't think that's the result of an excess of humanity in particular.
Shoal

PreviousNext

Return to Creations