Ezra's authorthread

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Ezra's authorthread

Postby Timepoof » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 pm

how much do actions vs mindset matter? (if you did the generous thing but were very annoyed because you had to, to have magic, does that count?)
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:55 pm

If I’m on my way to a charity with $100 I plan to give them, and somebody and me for a dollar, what possibilities let me keep healing? What if the charity needs something that costs $100 and simply couldn't use any less?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ezra » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Timepoof wrote:how much do actions vs mindset matter? (if you did the generous thing but were very annoyed because you had to, to have magic, does that count?)

The magic doesn't generally mind how you think about it to get yourself to do it, as long as you do the brave/generous/frugal/... thing. If resenting the magic helps, you do you.

Possible exception for any virtue that's specifically about a mental state, such as gratitude. Resenting the magic doesn't sound very grateful.
Ezra

Postby Ezra » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 pm

DanielH wrote:If I’m on my way to a charity with $100 I plan to give them, and somebody and me for a dollar, what possibilities let me keep healing? What if the charity needs something that costs $100 and simply couldn't use any less?

I would probably have to ask a philosopher of virtue, sorry. But it's not possible for a virtue to be in a lose/lose trap with itself. There's always a path through that'll satisfy any one virtue, even if you have to betray all the others to do it.
Ezra

Postby DanielH » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:47 pm

A philosopher of virtue would say that Caution is a part of Courage, and what distinguishes it from recklessness. Where by “a philosopher of virtue” I mean Aristotle; I don’t know how much virtue philosophy has changed since him.

See also this part of the Crash Course: Philosophy on virtue ethics.

It seems like this world seems to consider virtues as more like the excess end of the spectrum than a mean in the middle.
DanielH

Postby Ezra » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Yep.
Ezra

Postby pedromvilar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:40 am

Sadde kinda really wants to be instantiated in this world they are sure for certain virtues they are the most virtuous person in the world (and for others oh my god no)
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Ezra » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Saw this partial list of virtues, putting it here lest I forget to consider any for magic.
honesty, compassion, forgiveness, courage, growth, fairness, joy, empathy, respect, a sense of humor, a sense of perspective, and all the other virtues
Ezra

Postby Ezra » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Ezra

Postby Alicorn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Does "never willingly cause someone to believe a falsehood" include "do not give a simplified useful explanation which is not technically correct if you know the recipient will latch onto it"?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

PreviousNext

Return to Creations