Ezra's authorthread

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Ezra's authorthread

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:22 am

It's a possible failure mode.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Shoal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

Definitely. It happens in the world a lot. I'd just think those people are doing it wrong because I disagree with them. I think it is the failure of not valuing women's humanity enough. But it's a false dichotomy. It's possible to value both humans and potential humans.

Thinking more on other failure modes: Maybe valuing life too much in general could be too much humanity but the failure modes of that I can think of seem to be some other virtue: valuing peace too much and refusing to avert injustice because of potential cost of life. Or empathising too much with people who have done wrong to the detriment of protecting people from them (though that really seems more like an excess of mercy).
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Complex forms of wireheading (not just superheroin) are something like valuing life too much at the expense of what makes life enjoyable.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Shoal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 pm

I don't really understand wireheading; I've read the wikipedia article on it but it's hard to wrap my head around the concept. But from what I understand, it seems more like valuing pleasure over life?
Shoal

Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Ezra » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Please enjoy my short selfthread, with the same replies as before but now with facecast and icons for Jeffy.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:43 pm

a cute!
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Ezra » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Added this list of settings to the top post.

Settings
Twice World: Humans typically have two bodies, telepathically linked by one mind. Having only one living body is a major disability. Earthlike, but with a few other minor differences.

Gnat: A large network of caves underneath a surface world. The human empire on the surface is systematically exiling various nonhumans and undesirables to the caves, where they run into denizens such as telepathic spiders. Magic is based around rituals to produce unique artifacts, some more useful than others.

9gend: People here have a much greater variation in primary and secondary sexual characteristics than on Earth. Our culture of primary concern groups this variation into nine major genders and a few different subtypes, culture and gender politics ensue. Originally designed around the prompt of "Omegaverse, but trans-positive and way less rapey."

Virtues: The magic recognizes several virtuous codes of behavior, such as Honesty and Charity. When you keep to a virtue for seven years, you get a corresponding superpower.

Obduction: Some effect is stealing people from various times on various planets, mostly right before they would have died. Cultural contact ensues. Based on a video game but: mostly prefer to run it with original planets rather than the canonical ones.

4gend: There are four genders - men, women, dwarves, and elves. Magic is based around body paint that enhances the strength or flexibility of some part, literally or metaphorically.

The Sharing Federation: Humans on Star Trek ships, exploring the galaxy with their bestest friends the Yeerks. Content warning for domestication of people.

Forgetful magic: If you can forget it, you can change it.

Skytopia: Commerce and talking animals, in airplanes on floating islands.

Edited to add
Archaeotechnology: taking weird artifacts like "manacles that heat up when they hear lies" and making useful things out of them like "a steam engine powered by spoken falsehoods".
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Previous

Return to Creations