Kitaloei (ThanksJam)

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Kitaloei (ThanksJam)

Postby Kappa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:40 am

The world of Kitaloei is shaped like an elongated triangular bipyramid.

It's oriented vertically, with one point at the top and one at the bottom. The middle faces are square, and the top and bottom faces are equilateral triangles. Each face is associated with one of nine elements.

The top three faces are Fire, Light, and Air, the Chaos group. Fire belongs to the Soul group, Light to Sense, and Air to Substance.

The middle three faces are Wood, Twilight, and Water, the Balance group. Wood is Soul, Twilight is Sense, and Water is Substance.

The bottom three faces are Ice, Shadow, and Earth, the Void group. Ice is Soul, Shadow is Sense, and Earth is Substance.

Outside the world is a constantly churning boundary between the two primal forces, Chaos and Void. Inside the world is air, many floating landmasses, and a sun. The sun circles the interior surface of the world, rising up past the middle of the Twilight face at dawn, continuing upward along the Light face, reaching the top point at noon, then descending along the edge between Fire and Air. At dusk it reaches the middle of the edge between Wood and Water; during the night it continues along the edge between Ice and Earth; at midnight it reaches the bottom point, and then proceeds up the Shadow face, eventually reaching the middle of Twilight at the next dawn. It is brightest at noon and dimmest at midnight.

The year is divided into nine elemental months, in order: Fire, Light, Air, Wood, Twilight, Water, Ice, Shadow, Earth. Each month is forty days long. (A week is ten days.) This makes for a very orderly 360-day year. You can tell what month it is by looking at the faces of the world; the ascendant face will be obviously brighter or more vivid or something, in a way appropriate to its elemental colour scheme. (When it's Shadow's turn, the Shadow face turns lightlessly black.)

The sky is predominantly blue, but you can clearly see the various elemental faces past the blue, like a backdrop, or like glimpsing the moon in the daytime. And the bottom half of the world doesn't get the blue sky; it's more night-themed.

More thoughts to follow. Questions welcomed.

---
List of provinces
Maps etc
Last edited by Kappa on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Re: Kitaloei (ThanksJam)

Postby Kappa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 pm

I made a moderately horrible preliminary map of the main continent!

It's moderately horrible and I'm sorry!

Highpoint is a city on top of a mountain, right in the middle of a cluster of the three biggest smaller continents floating above the mainland. As such, it sees a lot of air traffic.

Nightwatch is a city built on, in, and around a cave system and deep ravine. Some of the caves go down far enough that you can stand on a balcony and look down at the sun as it descends toward its midnight position, although there are some uninhabited floating islands lower down that block your view of the midnight point proper.

Sunset Ridge is so named because from anywhere else on the continent, if you can see the sun set, that's where it's setting behind.
Kappa

Postby Ezra » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:33 pm

What is "ThanksJam" in this context?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Throne3d » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:37 pm

A joke on "Thanks Jarn", meaning "Thanks Jarnvidr", I think, because Jarnvidr (in IRC, aka Bethesda on these forums) prompted kappa to think of it.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Kappa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Yes. I lacked a name for the world when it was in its earliest stages, and I was telling the IRC about it, and I was like "in the world of THANKS JARN", and this turned into ThanksJam so I'd stop pinging Jarn by accident whenever I mentioned it.
Kappa

Postby Ezra » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Hehe. Cute.
Ezra

Postby Kappa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:08 pm

A much less horrible map! Some places have been moved, added, or renamed.

...Also I just noticed I forgot how east works. Um. Hmm.
Kappa

Postby Ezra » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:24 pm

Flip east/west? Or something more complicated?
Ezra

Postby Kappa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 pm

My mapping software commits unspeakable atrocities when I try to flip the map east/west. (All the text vanishes, the shapes of all the lines change, and the hills and mountains go wonky.)

However, it totally let me rotate the whole map 180 degrees! ...and then individually rotate all of the text and all the hills and mountains and the star representing the imperial capital back to their original orientations! BUT I'M DONE THAT NOW and i renamed North Reach and EVERYTHING IS FINE.

EVERYTHING IS FINE
Kappa

Postby Aestrix » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:20 pm

I found a very good Kitaloei song, Circles, by The Eden Project! I am terribly proud.

Lyrics here for those of you that would prefer reading over listening.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Next

Return to Creations