Elves (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Elves (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:14 pm

If you were an Arda-inhabitant dreaming you were a Kappa under Thauron's control there is no way in this or any world he would have put Miles Vorkosigan in your brain.

(Also when I asked if you were sure you survived intact I meant dream-you; the way real-you survived intact is obviously by waking up.)
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:19 am

Oh, dream-me totally did survive intact. I just can't remember the details.

...you have a point about Miles. XD <3333
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Was Kib present enough in Angband to scream? I had thought not, but it seems much more likely now.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Nothing about not-thinking prevents screaming.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby jalapeno_dude » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:33 pm

I was getting the impression that this one hadn't been in Angband for as long a subjective time (or since the last memory wipe or whatever) as the one in Silmaril proper.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby DanielH » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:47 pm

I think when he walked in he was mid-hallucination with no expectation that he was in Angband. Once he fell asleep he remembered Angband.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby jalapeno_dude » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:34 pm

So I'm now working my way through Unfinished Tales. The whole thing is really interesting, e.g. I now have a sense of why Hurin, Morwen, Turin et al. are interesting characters when previously I'd found that chapter the least interesting part of the Silmarillion.

In particular, though, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn goes into really fascinating detail. Two tidbits:
-Tolkien kept revising the story of how Galadriel left Valinor. In one version Celeborn is Olwe's grandson, which (oops) makes them first cousins, more closely related than Maedhros and Fingon (who only shared *one* grandparent)! But in particular the version that Tolkien wrote less than a month before he died is very interesting:
She [Galadriel] did indeed wish to depart from Valinor and to go into the wide world of Middle-earth for the exercise of her talents; for ‘being brilliant in mind and swift in action she had early absorbed all of what she was capable of the teaching which the Valar thought fit to give the Eldar’, and she felt confined in the tutelage of Aman. This desire of Galadriel’s was, it seems, known to Manwë, and he had not forbidden her; but nor had she been given formal leave to depart. Pondering what she might do Galadriel’s thoughts turned to the ships of the Teleri, and she went for a while to dwell with her mother’s kindred in Alqualondë. There she met Celeborn, who is here again a Telerin prince, the grandson of Olwë of Alqualondë and thus her close kinsman. Together they planned to build a ship and sail in it to Middle-earth; and they were about to seek leave from the Valar for their venture when Melkor fled from Valmar and returning with Ungoliant destroyed the light of the Trees. In Fëanor’s revolt that followed the Darkening of Valinor Galadriel had no part: indeed she with Celeborn fought heroically in defence of Alqualondë against the assault of the Noldor, and Celeborn’s ship was saved from them. Galadriel, despairing now of Valinor and horrified by the violence and cruelty of Fëanor, set sail into the darkness without waiting for Manwë’s leave, which would undoubtedly have been withheld in that hour, however legitimate her desire in itself. It was thus that she came under the ban set upon all departure, and Valinor was shut against her return. But together with Cele-born she reached Middle-earth somewhat sooner than Fëanor, and sailed into the haven where Círdan was lord.

-One version of Sauron’s time in Eregion:
When he came among the Noldor he adopted a specious fair form (a kind of simulated anticipation of the later Istari), and a fair name: Artano ‘high-smith’, or Aulendil, meaning one who is devoted to the service of the Vala Aulë.
Seems like this would get an interesting reaction from Galadriel, who spent time studying with Aulë and one of whose names in Quenya was Artanis!
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Unbitwise » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:12 pm

How do Elves feel about hair that is neither loose nor braided; in particular, ponytails or other styles which tie up only part of the length?
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Ponytails are like being shirtless is for human dudes.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Previous

Return to Creations