Elves (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Elves (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Postby lintamande » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:27 am

So I would like to do a glowfic with characters from Tolkien's Silmarillion. I am not particularly attached to any specific characters (that is a lie, I am specifically attached to every one of the characters), so poke them and see if there is anyone who'd spark interestingly with anyone of yours.

Settings I can do: Middle-earth, at any time from the beginning of history up to the present day (Middle-earth is technically our world. Tolkien didn't think much about the details of how that would work, since the Sun and Moon in Middle-earth are fruit towed through the sky by gods in chariots). I am particularly interested in Beleriand the continent which is doomed and has been at war for centuries, Númenor the steampunk ancient Egypt at war with the gods, and modern Earth where the Elves are fey, reclusive, and more than a little bit nuts. I can also do Ring War stuff if there are people who'd love to romp around in Middle-earth but are mostly confident with Ring War stuff.

Things I wrote that will help you assess if our styles will mesh (I struggled to find ones that require no familiarity with the Silmarillion. I think I failed, but I found ones that should at least give you a taste of me without Silm familiarity?)

http://lintamande.tumblr.com/post/61793 ... -kings-men
http://lintamande.tumblr.com/post/11179 ... many-parts
http://archiveofourown.org/works/345104 ... rs/7569143

Characters (like I said, I'll do anyone, but if you don't know anyone):

Celegorm is older than the Sun and the Moon (but they are not billions of years old, they are fruits on chariots) and the third son of the eldest son of the Elven King in paradise. He's exiled from there. He's exiled from everywhere, because he (and his six brothers, and his father, and their following of tens of thousands) made war in paradise and committed grand larceny and killed a lot of civilians and firmly refuse to feel guilty about any of it, because they have to live with it for all of eternity and so they'd damn better believe that it was worth it. He can talk to animals. He likes them more than people. He grew up at the side of the god of the hunt. He once swore an oath that will bind him until the end of time, and he does not regret it at all because, as previously established, it is hard enough living with yourself without regretting things.

Gimlith is 30 and will probably be dead by forty, which is an accomplishment in Númenor where the careful will live five centuries. She has poisoned a lot of shipments and burned a lot of barracks, but it is for a noble cause - the end of Númenorean imperialism in Middle-earth. That's practically the definition of a noble cause, right? She had a girlfriend, until she realized that she cared about Justice more than she could justify caring about another person and the girlfriend decided that she couldn't watch her die. Now she has an ex-girlfriend, who she still sleeps with whenever one of them can forget for ten minutes why this is a bad idea.
Last edited by lintamande on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lintamande

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Elves?

Postby lintamande » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:33 am

Storylines:

The House of Fëanor (that's the Oath-Elves) will find their storylines inevitably warping around the Silmarils, the gems they have sworn to retrieve at any cost from any god, Elf, man or child holding them. The location of these gems is Magic and their presence in a world would be sufficient reason for the whole bunch to go to that world. When the Silmarils are not accessible, they're a deeply unhealthy family who will probably only see each other every century or so but kill for each other on a moment's notice, and are probably meddling in the local scientific or magical studies, seeking some combination of validation and intellectual fulfillment and power.
lintamande

Postby lintamande » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:39 am

The steampunk ancient Egypt is actually Tolkien's retelling of the myth of the lost continent of Atlantis. Raised out of the ocean as a reward for the faith of Men, Númenor was an island shaped like a star, just out of sight of the Undying Lands where the Elves lived in paradise. Predictably, this was a bad idea. The men grew quickly into a powerful empire, colonized the other human populations on their eastern shores, and then set their sights on the immortality that the Undying Lands offered. The gods tried to dissuade them with lectures about the proper place of Man. This did not work. At last the great armies of Númenor set sail (well, steam engine) for the Undying Lands, and the gods rose up in wrath against them and sunk the whole continent beneath the waves.

Tolkien thought that this was a story about the hubris of man. I think it's a story about the asshole gods, and write a lot of AUs where the Men win.
lintamande

Postby anthusiasm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:43 am

Omg these are Great descriptions.

None of my characters are biting here but I'm excited to read whatever you write!
anthusiasm

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby rockeye_stonetoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 am

I like your writing style but am feeling meh about elves in particular. If you have non-elf writing urges at some point I'll prob be interested.
rockeye_stonetoe

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:43 am

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*ahem*

I am FILLED WITH IMMENSE EXCITEMENT at the thought of glowficcing with you, but I don't have any immediate specific ideas for what to glowfic with you except perhaps The Thing Where A Miles Yells At The Oath-Elves About Their Poorly Considered Priorities. Do you want a Miles to yell at the oath-elves about their poorly considered priorities? (Would he be right? It is most fun if he is right.)

Alternately, I bet I could drop somebody in steampunk ancient Egypt that could help them win in an interesting way. Or dodge the whole question by becoming immortal through separate means...

Let's talk! My gchat is peahenironybath!

*squees faintly off into the sunset*
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:04 pm

*cheers:* JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US

Also, Miles should absolutely yell at the Feanorians about their poorly considered priorities.

Also also: At The End Of All Things is good and you should feel good. Also, I can vouch for it being basically comprehensible without Silmarillion knowledge; I know Silm. only vaguely, by osmosis and half-remembered bits of the first couple chapters I read when I was 12, and, as mentioned, I enjoyed it a lot.

One Of The Elves, Honestly I Forget Which wrote:“Sir,” Carter said, “firstly, I tender my resignation, because I can no longer in good faith swear to act in the interests of the U.S. government or her people. Secondly, I confess to lying on my initial application for this position. I wrote that I was twenty-five. That was a lie. I was born before the Sun or the Moon, before the beginning of written history. I have walked among gods with the power to push the moon out of the sky. I have walked among the gods who put it there.” It was subtle, under the fluorescent lights, but he was visibly glowing. “Thirdly,” he continued, “and most urgently, I can win you this war.”
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Ezra » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 pm

I am enjoying At The End OF All Things. Any progress on elf glowfic?
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:27 am

We have plotted out a vague arc for a Miles to meet and yell at the Feanorians. But I haven't seen lintamande online in a while, so it may be some time before a first post comes to light.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby teceler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:39 pm

I am semi-delurking to make incoherent Tolkien-geek noises at you.

The Maglor-at-Mithrim fic doesn't entirely match my personal headcanon, but I am liable to borrow characterization at least from it because it had excellent characterization (and I don't have strong characterization for any of the Fëanorians but Maedros and Maglor)

And At The End of All Things is -- I will write you a pm with my gibberings about that.
teceler

Next

Return to Creations