The Glowfic Constellation

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: The Glowfic Constellation

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:25 am

Yes indeed.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Marri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:01 am

So history time! The glowfic site was in fact originally designed with that style in mind. But the largest problem was actually imports. There's a lot of historical glowfic that I'd probably import- and even if I just import Effulgence, there's a bunch of threaded style things there- and those ones, like the Cam summoning post, start to get a bit weird if you don't have a top index post. I can probably still go back to that approach, but I might have to tear out the currently theoretical ability to thread things in the process, and I don't know how strongly people feel about no top post vs threading.
Marri

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:31 am

Is there some way to like... have one post with multiple "versions", or "subheadings", or something, so that you can import posts like that and people can do multithreaded posts but in the individual threads the top-level will still only appear at the start...?
Kappa

Postby Ezra » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:31 am

You could just import the threads separately, like five different threads called "call me maybe" with the same text in their top post.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Kappa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 am

That seems untidy; there should be some sort of provision for it, I think. It should be theoretically possible...?
Kappa

Postby Marri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:58 am

I mean, most things are *possible*, but vary by time required, and there's also a significant factor of "how much time would I invest in this vs the other tasks on my list". And this one would probably be a large time investment.

Pushed out a couple fixes by Throne3d; the /characters pages shouldn't crash when you're logged out and timestamps should be 1-12 not 0-11.
Marri

Postby Moriwen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:12 pm

I kind of like having the top post be a thing. That way when I follow the link from the mini-notifications thread, I can go "what was this thread again? oh right, that was the premise" and then keep reading from where the new comments are.
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:52 pm

Keeping the top post is somewhat incompatible with some other desirable things. For example:

DanielH wrote:Dreamwidth shows the post at the top of each page but scrolls past it when you change pages. That behavior seems best here too.

If you do this, then when you refresh the page (i.e. to check for new tags), it will scroll to the top of the page unless you fiddle with the URL. This is workable, but obnoxious.

My suggestion would be for the div containing the top post to be hideable, and to default to hidden on any page that isn't the first. This isn't hard and I can probably code it myself.
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby DanielH » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Huh, that would need to be coded up. I didn’t realize that Firefox and IE both lacked support for the <details> element.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Marri » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:57 pm

PDV's suggestion is way better than most things I've come up with; top post being toggleable can totally be a thing (or a user setting or whatever).
Marri

PreviousNext

Return to Creations