The Glowfic Constellation

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: The Glowfic Constellation

Postby Ezra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 pm

If "unhiding" triggers some Thing, such as notifications or "New" markers, then I think "importing" should trigger the same - they both mean there's new content available, but backdated.

The thing I can think of that would make this tricky is sending only one notification for an entire batch import, because nobody needs an email for every thread in the batch.
Ezra

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Marri » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 pm

I was explicitly requested to not notify upon import; perhaps when we feel the Vast Majority is imported we can revisit, but yeah, that's a looooot of emails xD
Marri

Postby Anya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:48 am

Request: I'd like thread descriptions to be a thing in Continuities.

Well like. I'd like them to be a thing in Unread and Recently Updated too. But mostly Continuities.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kaylin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:53 am

They appear on mouseover, which is fine except that it isn't a thing on mobile. I just don't tend to use the internet on my phone or tablet often enough for it to annoy me.
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Postby DanielH » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 am

I use almost exclusively mobile for this site; I keep forgetting that’s a thing that already exists.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Anya » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 pm

I didn't know that. I use my ipad or my phone mostly.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Throne3d » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 pm

It seems like it is once again changelog time! It has been a while. The list is quite long, so I've tried to sort by how major the feature is, in the separate subsections.

Marri:
  • Threaded posts can now be scraped!
  • New search functionality (characters, users)
  • Fix up continuity reordering some (restrict to sub-sections only, and confirm the change before letting more changes be made)
  • Fix the Discord link
  • Better validate page numbers

Me:
Main:
  • Scrape Effulgence!
  • New: Characters can now be duplicated! (For if you want to fork your characters and don't want to need to go through the whole copy process yourself. Brings along aliases and galleries too.)
  • Tweaked: with Aestrix: Starry theme colors have been updated. (Specifically: background of the search page, background of buttons, subheaders and the character group headers, the color of links and the border of the selected icon; some of this is currently incomplete.)
  • Tweaked: Quick switcher: you can now disable the user character (globally), and also the character limit has been bumped from 5 to 10 (for those of you who use a lot of characters in threads)
  • New: Gallery groups. These go on galleries, and show up when listing your galleries. They can also be attached to characters, where they will automatically attach any galleries added to the group to the character, so you don't have to update a bunch of characters at once if they all share the same galleries and you create a new gallery for them.
  • Tweaked: When viewing a list of characters, "list" and "icon" view are now distinct toggles from "grouping" (by template and/or character group). (That is, you can now split icon view by template, or view all your characters in alphabetical order list view, and change these defaults in your account options.)
  • New: There is a new toggle to highlight the unread reply when you go to an unread page. (It also adds some invisible text, "First unread marker", which you can Ctrl+F.)
  • New: You can also toggle notifications for new favorite author posts
  • Fixed: When reordering a continuity, you can now reorder the individual posts again, and if something goes wrong you will get a warning.

Smaller:
  • Fixed: Continuities without subsections now also display their descriptions, if given
  • Fixed: You can now select galleryless icons when you create a new gallery
  • New: There is now key traversal on the gallery "add new" page! (If you are manually entering URLs and keywords, you should now be able to navigate between the boxes with arrow keys instead of having to tab through them all.)
  • New: There is a new 'x' button to search fields, so you can clear them without having to reload
  • New: There is a warning if you log in/out in another tab (so as to try to reduce those pesky CSRF errors we've been getting)
  • Fixed: Updating a character no longer throws an error behind the scenes if you give invalid input (i.e. if you remove the character's name)
  • Fixed: Deleting continuities now also deletes their subsections (posts go to sandboxes and shouldn't take their sections with them)
  • Fixed: Looking at the galleries of a character who doesn't have any now displays "no galleries yet" (instead of being totally blank)
  • Fixed: The minmax buttons on the galleries subsections of character and icon pages ("+"/"-") work again; they have also been removed when you are viewing a gallery's page itself
  • Tweaked: The arrows when reordering galleries on a character's page are now disabled at the boundaries (i.e. trying to move the first gallery up, or the last gallery down)
  • Fixed: Long names in the post info box are now wrapped more properly on Firefox
  • Fixed: Screennames in the post editor box now resize when you change characters (like in the actual display if a character has a long screenname)
  • Tweaked: The delete button squarer on character icon view is now squarer

Behind the scenes:
  • Tweaked: New post notifications should appear faster (by taking priority over flat view generation)
  • Fixed: Tag creation has been better abstracted behind the scenes and is hopefully tested more thoroughly
  • Fixed: Update to Rails 4.2 and Ruby 2.3.4
  • Fixed: Update the README's order to be clearer to follow; also add an attribution note for our icon pack
  • Tweaked: A bunch of small code style things

We also now have a staging server, where I have been pushing code and asking people to poke around at it before it goes out to the main server. It's not going to keep everything 100% bug free, but it should at least catch a few more cases.

Gallery groups were kinda huge, code-wise. They could be used if, for example, you want to label all your galleries of a particular facecast. I think Moriwen requested them for her galleries, a while back, and they also solve a use-case mentioned by Pedro a couple of pages back. (They are also duplicated if you use the new character duplication feature. They are also shown in the "galleries" subsections of both characters and icons, for each individual attached gallery. It is not currently visible which groups are attached to a character, except in the editor.) I also realize just now that I forgot to style the display of tags in non-default themes, so I'll get to fixing that up soon.

Continuity reordering has been a bit of a pain, so I tried to get the logic fixed for it. You can reorder a continuity if your continuity is not "open to anyone", or if you have subsections; otherwise it acts like sandboxes and has the most recently updated posts first. To expand on the warnings: you will get a warning/error when trying to reorder if (1) some items on your list no longer exist to be reordered (because they got moved/deleted and you haven't reloaded), or (2) there are new items missing from your list. The "saving…" thing should also display better when making changes quickly. The code also refreshes the whole list when you reorder, so your list will reflect the actual ordering better; if someone changes the ordering in another tab and you don't reload, when you make your change, you will reorder the whole list to be what the ordering is on your screen (and any items missing from your list will be shoved after the ones you reordered). This should, I think, only be undesirable where you forgot to reload to update the list to an ordering you would prefer, and instead reverted it to an old ordering.

Edit: Forgot to add a SHA. Here, have a SHA: 504d83c2ae3e38e53d2be542a4f0fd51d38de333
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:59 pm

If I import a threaded post, what happens to it? There are sort of two cases, which I will call parties and trees: parties have one top post with several scenes in separate threads below, and trees have one opener for different *continuities* all collected under it. Which case is threaded importing designed for and is there a way to make the appropriate thing for the other case happen?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Throne3d » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 pm

It looks designed to import a single linked thread, and the flag means that it doesn't try scraping in flat mode but traverses the ever-rightwards-moving replies in the single thread. That is, I think it is designed to import a single branch (one thread) of a tree, including the single opener.

An example used in a test is this: http://alicornutopia.dreamwidth.org/9596.html?thread=4077436&style=site#cmt4077436
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Moriwen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Trying to turn off the "notify when a favorite author makes a new post" option gives me a "we're sorry, but something went wrong" notice.

ETA: Actually I seem to get that when trying to edit any of my account options.

ETA again: On a non-complain-y note: Effulgence!!!! Reading Effulgence on the Constellation is such a delight! Duplicating characters!! Disabling the user character! Gallery groups!!!! I am SO EXCITED about gallery groups I am an iconoholic and I know it! Grouping in icon view!! I can go back to having icon view as my default now!!! Key traversal! I have been wishing for that!! Screennames resizing in the editor I didn't even know I wanted that but I did I was having to guess & check if my screennames were too long because I hate it when they resize!

<33333
Last edited by Moriwen on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Return to Creations