The Glowfic Constellation

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: The Glowfic Constellation

Postby DanielH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:41 am

How I would design it is a “Have notifications home out for this thread yet” bool in the threads table. If so, don’t re-notify. If you have notification recall implemented in general then I would notify if a thread were neither ignored nor opened, as a proxy for “the user does not know about the thread”.

Either way, on days where a thread is unhidden (verb, not adjective) I would appreciate *some* symbol on the reports page so the thread stands out more. Currently I have no way of becoming aware of threads I want to read if they were hidden on creation without looking at all the unread threads in the report every day, when most of the unread threads there are unread because I decided not to read them. This would completely remove the utility of the New marker, and even that wouldn't work if it were not updated on the same day it were unhidden.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Throne3d » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Effulgence has now been imported! Hopefully. It is large. Like five hundred posts large. The page may well be slow to load – we plan on giving it expandos or something.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Unbitwise » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Expando are annoying because they mean you can't "find in page" or skim for that thing you vaguely remember and if they load stuff you have to wait.

(I always get the impression that things are really slow for the amount of computation they theoretically ought to need, but I'd be unsurprised to hear That Would Be A Massive Rewrite Possibly In Another Language To Fix.)
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Marri » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Right now there's list of posts, mostly but not perfectly optimized, then content warnings for each, plus all your opened and unread data very not optimized, and the post author list also not optimized. Caching should probably occur.
Marri

Postby Unbitwise » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm

ooh right ALL those things

i don't even have a glib suggestion for how to slightly denormalize to improve that situation
Unbitwise

Postby Throne3d » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:54 pm

On the bright side I pushed some changes which took it from "really really slow to the point of major inconvenience" on my local computer to just "takes like ten seconds"! :P

It takes a few seconds on the server, though. Not super sure what to do to reduce that except "don't use partials, use loops inside the outer board" (I hear that sometimes speeds stuff up? it'd be inconvenient) or caching or expandos.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby DanielH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 pm

A couple issues which I knew to double-check from when I worked on the epub generator:

• Some internal links (at least the one here) still link back to Dreamwidth (if you thought you took care of this, it complication might be that this was in the same Dreamwidth thread but not the same Constellation thread).
  • Some of the less-than and greater-than signs (noticeably in <thoughtspeak> but IIRC at least one other place too) got imported incorrectly, e.g. here. I don’t remember what caused only some of them to be read wrong (and I checked that the corresponding Dreamwidth comment displays correctly, so it isn’t just a problem with the source).
  • The Bellbook (v1 and v2) profiles, Bell Checklist, World Book, etc. should probably still be imported somehow.

All the other edge cases I can remember are handled well, but I’ll check more thoroughly when I get a chance, maybe next weekend.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 pm

I wish there were a thing that worked mechanically exactly like a continuity except a) not being called that ("an index"?) and b) allowing threads to be in more than one of them. Possibly also c) the ability to add threads to them without being involved in creating the thread. This would allow:

- author indexes
- "minicontinuities" that don't feel big and important enough for their own Real Continuity, as subindexes in an index (the outtakes from Silmaril, the touch and go/stay in touch pair, etc.)
- indexes of threads that are loosely connected in some way ("lost Pen boxes") for easy reference/linking
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm

The issue for continuity reordering is still open; it sounds like it’s an issue when reordering with a bad Internet connection or a browser that gets distracted halfway through somehow.
DanielH

Postby Unbitwise » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 am

There are also some unedited links to Dreamwidth at the ends of early Silmaril threads.
Unbitwise

PreviousNext

Return to Creations