Pedro's Point

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: Pedro's Point

Postby Timepoof » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:49 am

Unfamiliar settings, definitely, I'm following all the almost-peal things and the cardverse things when I brain but mostly nothing else because of that unfamiliar settings thing.
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby pedromvilar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:39 am

How to fix the unfamiliar settings thing?
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby MTC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:05 am

That’s also one of the reasons that I haven’t read much of Lighthouse.

I tend to prefer reading threads either in settings I’m already familiar with or that feature contact between characters from an unfamiliar setting and characters from a familiar setting. This is because I find that an easy way to get to know an unfamiliar setting is to read a thread where characters from that setting have to explain their setting to characters from an already familiar setting. I generally find this to be a better way to get to know a new setting than reading a forum thread describing the setting or reading a thread in which all the characters are native to that setting. I recall others saying something similar elsewhere on the forum, several months ago.

As far as I can tell, Lighthouse seems to be largely set in newly invented settings that haven’t crossed over much with more common glowfic settings.
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby pedromvilar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 am

That's true.

Was that also a problem for new settings in, say, Effulgence and Incandescence when those were happening?
pedromvilar

Postby MTC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm

It mainly applies to current glowfic, when there are so many threads that it’s impossible to keep up with all of them, making it necessary to choose between them somehow, and the above reasoning is one of the main ways I choose which ones to read.

When I was first reading Effulgence and while Incandenscence was happening, there wasn’t much other glowfic at all; it was easy to read all the glowfic there was, though I do vaguely recall some of the less familiar settings generating a similar problem in some cases (fun side note: Effulgence was my first exposure to some of the established settings too, I’d never seen any of the Marvel movies or any BtVS before I read those parts of Effulgence; rereading them afterwards was very different). Lighthouse, on the other hand, started when there was already too much glowfic to read all of it, and started off (as far as I can tell from the index) with an unfamiliar setting that seems to be currently unique to that continuity, so I just never got around to reading it.
MTC

Pronouns: male

Postby pedromvilar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:41 am

I have added a couple of things to my list including Dissonance, Floating Point, and Unspeakable (Abigail's world).
pedromvilar

Previous

Return to Creations