A Thread For My Characters

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

A Thread For My Characters

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:00 pm

So since I have started glowficcing I have had to explain my characters to several people. In order to make things a bit simpler, I'm posting here the initial character pitch I made the first time I was negotiating the start of a glowfic.

MaggieoftheOwls wrote:Okay, so...
The ones I've been toying with most recently aren't really mine, per se. They originate in a fanfiction written by Unforgotten on Archive of Our Own, but she gave me her blessing to use them as long as I credit her. They're mutants, originally, but they'e pretty much the most templated characters I have in my head, so they can be dumped into almost any setting. Their names are Edie and Emily, and they're the offspring of Mags and the Prof, so Edie is a telepath-or-nearest-equivalent and Emily strongly tends towards magnetism-related things, although these traits can be relenquished if absolutely necessary.
Another set of characters I have well enough developed to glowfic immediately are from a universe that basically came about when I looked at Supernatural and said "how can I make this world not suck to live in? So you've got Victoria Lavere, aka the Archangel Helel, aka a repentant Lucifer, and Amy Lavere aka the Archangel Uriel, John/Jean Lavere aka the Archangel Raphael, and Anna Lavere, Victoria's adopted human daughter with some weird stuff going on, and Suzuran, Cadmus, Servatius, and Mehitabel, who used to be demons but aren't anymore, and who Victoria also sort of adopted. These could be templated but for obvious reasons not into Good Omens or Supernatural or what have you.
And lastly there are Christina, Katherine, Verdandi and Joseph Eberbach. These are a set of siblings who are really not attached to their original setting and can be shoved wherever. They do have some attached templates but I'm not going to get into it unless we decide to use them because it would take a while.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: A Thread For My Characters

Postby Bluelantern » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Tell more about the Eberbach siblings?
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:39 pm

MaggieoftheOwls wrote:Christina, Katherine, Verdandi, and Joseph are a set of siblings listed from oldest to youngest. Christina has a strong aptitude for making things, a moderate attractor for having magic if available and a fairly weak attractor for competence in martial combat. She is the most chaotic of the four. She is a short-side-of-average redhead with green eyes. Katherine has a strong aptitude for martial arts, a moderate attractor for being competent at mechanical things, and a weak attractor for having magic. She is a tall-side-of-average redhead with blue eyes. Her hair is the kind of straight that, combined with how good she is at intimidating people, makes a certain kind of mind suspect she terrorizes it into submission. She has a strong "significant other" attractor whose baseline form is Karen White, an (ex-) police detective. Karens are not strongly attached to their gender but will have names phonetically similar to Karen and a second name that means white. They have a talent for investigating things. (When I ran a version of Katherine in a D&D campaign, she had an offscreen fiance named Karn the White who was a wizard specializing in Divination). Of the siblings, Christina and Katherine are the most likely to hang out together. Verdandi is the youngest of the girls, and has a strong aptitude for both magic and killing things at a distance, although she strongly prefers not to use the latter skillset if at all possible. She has a weak attractor for martial arts, although she will know a few places to hit someone to make them go down hard. While her siblings' combat proficiencies tend towards melee, she will tend towards either dramatic arcane duels or assasin-like dirty fighting. She prefers elaborate gowns where available but will shuck them for something more practical without raising a fuss. She likes art but is more concerned with what suits her personal aesthetics than things like art history. Her hair is naturally wavy but she curls it when possible. She is between Katherine and Christina in height, with dark brown hair and green eyes. Joseph is the only boy and the baby of the family, and as a result is slightly effeminate. He wears his (straight, black) hair long and usually in a ponytail. He is definitively not gay. If Glass were to peer at his metacausality she might notice a link between his effeminacy and his not-gayness. He doesn't really pay attention to his clothes and things, but tends to end up with nice things anyway and has slightly delicate features. He has a strong talent for art and a moderate attractor for melee combat. He has absolutely zero aptitude for magic.
The siblings' parents are a man who has an extremely strong aptitude for martial combat and a genderfluid biologically-female-if-they-have-to-choose-only-attracted-to-men person with a strong aptitude for magic and a major attractor for various skills traditionally associated with thievery.
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Wait. You're the person I sent the original message to.
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby Kappa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:43 pm

It's hard to read the long quotes with very few paragraph breaks.

Clearly separated paragraphs with blank lines in between them would help readability a lot.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Christina, Katherine, Verdandi, and Joseph are a set of siblings listed from oldest to youngest. Christina has a strong aptitude for making things, a moderate attractor for having magic if available and a fairly weak attractor for competence in martial combat. She is the most chaotic of the four. She is a short-side-of-average redhead with green eyes. Katherine has a strong aptitude for martial arts, a moderate attractor for being competent at mechanical things, and a weak attractor for having magic. She is a tall-side-of-average redhead with blue eyes. Her hair is the kind of straight that, combined with how good she is at intimidating people, makes a certain kind of mind suspect she terrorizes it into submission. She has a strong "significant other" attractor whose baseline form is Karen White, an (ex-) police detective. Karens are not strongly attached to their gender but will have names phonetically similar to Karen and a second name that means white. They have a talent for investigating things. (When I ran a version of Katherine in a D&D campaign, she had an offscreen fiance named Karn the White who was a wizard specializing in Divination). Of the siblings, Christina and Katherine are the most likely to hang out together.

Verdandi is the youngest of the girls, and has a strong aptitude for both magic and killing things at a distance, although she strongly prefers not to use the latter skillset if at all possible. She has a weak attractor for martial arts, although she will know a few places to hit someone to make them go down hard. While her siblings' combat proficiencies tend towards melee, she will tend towards either dramatic arcane duels or assasin-like dirty fighting. She prefers elaborate gowns where available but will shuck them for something more practical without raising a fuss. She likes art but is more concerned with what suits her personal aesthetics than things like art history. Her hair is naturally wavy but she curls it when possible. She is between Katherine and Christina in height, with dark brown hair and green eyes.

Joseph is the only boy and the baby of the family, and as a result is slightly effeminate. He wears his (straight, black) hair long and usually in a ponytail. He is definitively not gay. If Glass were to peer at his metacausality she might notice a link between his effeminacy and his not-gayness. He doesn't really pay attention to his clothes and things, but tends to end up with nice things anyway and has slightly delicate features. He has a strong talent for art and a moderate attractor for melee combat. He has absolutely zero aptitude for magic.

The siblings' parents are a man who has an extremely strong aptitude for martial combat and a genderfluid biologically-female-if-they-have-to-choose-only-attracted-to-men person with a strong aptitude for magic and a major attractor for various skills traditionally associated with thievery.
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby Bluelantern » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:37 pm

MaggieoftheOwls wrote:Wait. You're the person I sent the original message to.

yes, so other people could know as well.

Are you planning to share your settings?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Probably, but probably not in any systematic way; there's just too many of them.
MaggieoftheOwls

Postby Bluelantern » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:11 pm

I haven't finishing reading the thread, but I wanted to ask, where Gloria is from?
Sorry for my bad english

Bluelantern

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Gloria had not been previously mentioned on this thread.
Gloria is actually one of several Things I Do where you have this character, or set of characters, where they have a set history up until a certain point and then at that point it branches wildly. Sort of like Standard Backstory Bells, except without having a single original starting point. In this case it's less Gloria and more Gloria And Klaudia And A Handful Of Hangers-On Including Jeanine-who-has-been-met-in-thread.
MaggieoftheOwls

Next

Return to Creations