Glowfic Ebooks

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Glowfic Ebooks

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Today a fan emailed me and gave me an EPUB and MOBI of Effulgence. I've checked out the MOBI briefly on my Kindle and it seems to work great! (Though it's having to turn pages instead of scrolling that makes you realize your table of contents needs a table of contents.) I've solicited an Incandescence and sandboxes version too, and he said HTML could be doable with the same code to replace the flawed and out of date existing HTML mirror, so I've asked for that too; updates will appear here when those materialize. In the meantime you may download the EPUB and MOBI from my site. I will add links to How To Read Effulgence presently. I don't think the timing has anything to do with my glowfic hiatus but it sure is convenient.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: EPUB and MOBI of Effulgence

Postby DanielH » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Yay! This looks good. I haven’t looked at the existing mirrors or fan-made ebooks for comparison, but if you say this is better I’ll believe that.

Is this anonymous fan willing to publish the code?
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:46 pm

It's on Github :)
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Kappa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Whoever this person is, I am extremely delighted with them.

Also, I have a suggestion for the html version: note the character's moiety somewhere in the structure of each comment, probably as a CSS class. (Every character journal has exactly one moiety, so this is doable if you just get lists of journals per author. Most glowfic authors seem to maintain journal lists in the form of DW community memberships - I know for sure that mine is flawlessly up to date, and I bet Alicorn's is too.) That way, you can go on to do things like style comment headers by moiety colour, making the reading experience slightly more informative for everyone.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:30 pm

I was thinking of that too, but didn’t have any idea how.

I’m looking through the code to see how easy it would be to improve handling of chapters with multiple threads (currently they’re all just concatenated, with no notice of the thread break; this is far better than Dreamwidth’s mixing the threads, but not ideal).

Also, something I’ve been wondering for a while, and now seems like a good time to ask: do you have a list of what fonts each symbella is best viewed in (seems unlikely) or failing that a list of fonts on your computer (from which one could generate an approximation of the former list relatively easily)? Many of them for me are displayed in an ugly fallback font, and some don’t show up at all; this is true both on my computer and my tablet.

Given the former list, or an approximation generated in some way, it would be a possible to embed these fonts into the ebook.
DanielH

Postby Alicorn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:50 pm

I don't know how to get a list of my computer's fonts. Also, for some reason the display of some symbellas has changed over time (Rose's stopped working for me for a while, then came back; Nika's has always worked but started irritatingly displaying in color a while ago).
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby DanielH » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Nika’s is the only one that doesn’t work on my computer at all (except for a box with “01F341”, because the maple leaf is U+1F341), but several are in a fallback font which doesn’t look good for anything (but is better than the equivalent boxes). My tablet behaves inconsistently about supporting many of them.

The symbellas are currently heavily affected by font choice; if you switch to a browser which uses a different algorithm for deciding which font to use for a symbol not supported by the main font, you get different results; same if a new version of your browser uses a different algorithm, or links to a different library, etc. One of the things I want a list for is the ability to encode it in CSS and distribute it as a userstyle and/or dreamwidth setting information.

I was primarily asking kappa, because I thought she would be more likely than you to either know what font is ideal or be able to generate a list of fonts on his computer.
DanielH

Postby Kappa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:52 pm

I don't currently have a list of the fonts that I use at home to see all the symbellas, but I know I got them by googling for fonts with high Unicode coverage. I think the DejaVu font family was a big one.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Tulip » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:32 pm

I don't have any problems with symbellas in Pale Moon on Windows, but some of them are broken in every other browser I've tried. It's not exactly an exhaustive list—just Chrome on Windows and Dolphin on Android—but still indicates to me that Pale Moon's cooperativeness is the exception rather than the rule.
Tulip

Postby DanielH » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:50 pm

I’m surprised Pale Moon worked but Chrome didn’t. I hadn’t heard of Pale Moon before, but a quick skim of their site shows that it is heavily based on FireFox, and this doesn’t seem to be one of the areas they’d change. I’d think that FF and Chrome would be equally good at handling symbellas, even if they make different choices when more than one font would work.

In any case, I have compiled an almost-minimal font list in a new Creations thread. I’ll do some work to get a CSS script you can use as a userscript or point DW to if you’re logged on, which should make it work in a browser. Similarly, those fonts can all be easily embedded (and subsetted to only use the relevant characters) into an Effulgence epub from the tool in this thread.
DanielH

Next

Return to Creations