Aestrix Ramblings and Q & A

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Aestrix Ramblings and Q & A

Postby Aestrix » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:21 pm

All right, since I am naturally a mysterious lurker when left to my own devices, here is the chance to ask me all of the questions about all of the things I'm involved in that you'd like. Fair warning, out of respect for co-authors will avoid answering spoilery things in Incandescence or Pixiethreads. If it's something of my own creation, though, I'll happily answer spoilery things in PM if you'd like to know the answer. Final fate of all Kystle characters, for example, is something that's already pretty solidified in my head and I will clarify on request. Hopefully less giant wall of texty than the topic.

Ask away! :)

Edit: Occasionally there are things that I would like to publicly talk about in regards to characters and settings, but have not been questioned about. Rather than making a new thread I think I'll use this one, for neatness <3
Last edited by Aestrix on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Aestrix Q & A

Postby Marri » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Do mages in Kystle consider themselves human? It seems like the fae blood is diluted enough that they probably do, but Kystle magic isn't exactly something you can pick up, it's still a bloodline thing, and I've seen people referenced as halfblood (Your Fractions May Vary), so am curious. Or maybe some do and some don't?
Marri

Postby Aestrix » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:43 pm

They consider themselves human - depends on the family for the specifics, though. Adarin specifically identifies as 'mostly human' and that's the general consensus among them. Others treat it as being part god, and still others just think of themselves as 100% human with magic. Half-blood is a very specific term, meaning a very specific set of circumstances (and the crazy that comes with it). Some people will refer to half-blood's kids as quarter-bloods, but it's not a very popular thing to do.
Aestrix

Postby PlainDealingVillain » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:31 am

Do you churn out settings with detailed worldbuilding all the time, or just on command?
PlainDealingVillain

Pronouns: he etc.

Postby Aestrix » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:43 pm

I do it idly in my spare time, but definitely not at the rate that I do on command. It's a thing that I just like to do, though I'm faster and more detailed when other people need me to be.

Often a lot of my worlds just sort of get ignored and then forgotten about if they're not used. Kystle was my first real worldbuilding exercise, that's why I remember it so well and it's so obsessively detailed. I've had years to work on it :)
Aestrix

Postby Rayketh » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 pm

What are some other worlds you've thought of? I love worldbuilding and hearing about interesting settings and magic systems and inhabitants, so whatever you feel like sharing would be fun to read :)
Rayketh

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Aestrix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:06 pm

Most of the solo things I've built are in Incandescence or the sandboxes, and a lot of the others are either non-solo (and my co-writer for those would prefer I did not use/tell people about them) or I've completely forgotten about them.

First doesn't have a name other than 'That one thing with the dragons' - basically, I like dragons, and I wanted to express that by letting dragons run rampant and kill everybody. But at the same time I wanted to have a setting to question the morality of creatures that are driven to kill and steal and horde things, especially in comparison to human morality. Because of this the worldbuilding kind of sucks, but I like the interpersonal relationships of the dragons who are evil but also not.

Second, the one used in doors - 'God world thing.' As you can see, I am really great at naming my worldbuilding projects. So great. Anyway, gods run rampant, they need prayers badly, have set rules to what they can do and generally get up to things. Bit of trivia - the idea for it came from a mix of Black and White (the game) and a minecraft server that was rather short-lived. Specifics of the world itself are in Doors, but if you'd like me to explain it in more detail I'll be happy to <3

The third's got a magic system that is hard to describe, but it's a blend of magitech and proper magic. It works by transferring characteristics of one thing to another. For example - fire is hot. You transfer the heat portion of it to, say, leaves, and then the leaves are hot and the fire is not. The users of this magic run around with fancy gadgetry to see what things have what characteristics that are transferable, and have worked out lots of cool technology that's based on this sort of thing. Flying's possible, steam engines are the main source of power, and there's a whole art to getting a thing to do what you want while still leaving whatever's left in a state that's still useful. Mostly because they got themselves into a permanent winter and now they are trying not to do something like that again.

There was a world with a plant-based magic that is very druidic system set up, with practitioners regularly sitting around talking to trees and doing magic by asking plants nicely to give up roots/moss/nuts and so on to use for magic. They're very anti killing trees, it's considered sacrilege to actually chop down their groves and they make their clothes by asking plants nicely to weave themselves into clothes. Naturally, the non-druids think those guys are absolutely bonkers and are weirded out dealing with them.

Then there are vague concepts that I remember more than actual worlds - there was a werewolf mercenary with some magic granted by vaguely diety-like figure. Think something like a templar from the Crusades. With magic. Also the same somewhat questionable 'Is this a really holy thing to do, killing people?' thing going on. There's a woman who carries around the night sky and casually banishes people to a nicer equivalent of space, with no gravity but air and such.

I can probably cough up more if pressed, but those are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head <3
Aestrix

Postby Kappa » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Oooooo. Aestrix I like your worlds :D
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Lambda » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Do the people get banished to near each other, or are they scattered isolatingly through pseudospace?
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Postby Aestrix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Scattered isolatingly, though she can put people next to each other if she wants to. She just doesn't, usually.
Aestrix

Next

Return to Creations