The Glowfic Constellation

Do you have a setting, character, plot, art, or other notion that you wish to put on the Internet? This is the Internet! Whee!

Re: The Glowfic Constellation

Postby Marri » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:42 pm

I don't mind including things like "characters and templates present in this thread" or whatever, in more the style of FF or AO3 than a forum, if I ever come up with a design for it? (Things like this are why I keep post lists at 25 per page; this is gonna use memory like woah.)
Marri

Postby Marri » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 pm

My updates:
- Added anchors and links to flat posts, though they won't appear unless the post has a new post or an edit that causes it to regenerate; I'm not going to bother re-enqueuing till we know what we're doing with it a little better.
- Merged a bunch of duplicate tags now that Throne's case insensitive changes are out
- Background jobs now use a prebuilt gem to retry a set number of times before notifying me via email of the problem exception.
- No long pagination any more; you have to use flat view.
- There is now an account setting for people who do not require content warnings and are content to have them turned off. You can still see warnings in the stats page for now, but they won't show in the post lists or on the top of a post's page.
- Tests! 84.76% coverage.
- Incandescence has been imported.

Throne's updates:
- The last-loaded timestamp is now in more places
- Message code is now much more robust, has some improved CSS, has a preview option, and has more tests.
- If you have email notifications on, you can now receive emails when someone sends you a PM.
- Email workers are prioritized over flat reprocessing workers.
- Post authors are sorted alphabetically for consistency.
- User profile pages no longer show the Favorite and Message links to logged out users or to the profile owner.
- Adds a link to remove a character's default icon. (It will still attempt to guess an icon if the character has no default icon but has galleries attached.)
Marri

Postby Kappa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 pm

<33333

Would it make sense to be able to set "no icon" as a character's default? I think it might.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 pm

Any plans for pagination at arbitrary replies or page=last or something? Alternately, can you make it so the page size check counts how many posts would be displayed instead of the actual per_page parameter? If there are 300 unread replies and the last is 1471, it’s now difficult to load all the new replies even though 300 is a reasonable size to load.

I don’t want to use flat view for that because my phone can’t hold the 11848 replies in Room of Requirement all at once.

EDIT: And bug report either way: when I try https://glowfic.com/posts/452?page=2&per_page=11587 when it has 11850 replies, it takes me to page 2 at 500 per page, when the expected behavior (assuming it didn’t realize there were fewer than 500 rendered replies) would be to put me 87 replies down on page 24, or at least at the top of page 24.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby jalapeno_dude » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:13 am

I don't see why the behavior you're getting constitutes a bug, and I definitely don't understand why you'd expect what you say is the expected behavior. You're explicitly telling it to return page 2, and it's doing so (presumably at what's now the maximum allowed number of replies per page).
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Adelene » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 am

I'm seeing lots of tags with no icons, because they're trying to hotlink from dreamwidth and dreamwidth isn't cooperating. (I think it used to? Other people are seeing the same thing now, right?) Is there a way to elegantly replace a hotlinked icon with an uploaded one? Can people be encouraged to do so?
Utility Admin
Adelene

Pronouns: they

Postby Throne3d » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 am

People can upload an icon to the same gallery then use the "replace icon" tool? I'm not sure it's elegant, since as far as I know it doesn't work in bulk (fifty icons in one go would mean fifty 'replace icon's), but it's plausibly a solution or part of one.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Aestrix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 am

I agree with Adelene, I'd really like a way to switch to uploaded over hotlinked, but right now the only way to do that is to painstakingly save each and every icon and reupload them one by one. Which is a pain when you just had all of Incandescence uploaded.

Edit: Actually, on that note, can I get a way to 'retire' characters, so they don't show up in my main roster and I don't have to scroll through characters I have no intention of writing with again? But still allowing people to see their pages.
Aestrix

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Throne3d » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:45 am

We could do a multi-replace thing? So you still upload all the icons separately, but there's a page where you can set what to replace each icon with (or leave as is).

Also that sounds like a good idea (retired characters). But I'm not sure how people would want to retire the characters – a link on the character pages themselves?
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby DanielH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am

Re: why I consider it a bug

I’m explicitly asking for the second page, but I’m also explicitly asking for a certain number of replies per page. This is because I want to read replies starting from some point. I’m getting none of the replies I asked for.

If I asked for volumes P through T of an encyclopedia with one volume per letter (per_page=5&page=4), and somebody brings me G and H because they only have two hands (the fourth set of two books), they haven’t done what I asked. If they only bring P and Q then they’re doing the best they can, and if they bring me O and P (the eighth set of two books) then they at least are bringing me something I asked for.

In this case I’d like just O and P because pagination complications make P and Q more complicated than it seems (per_page=2&page=7.5 would cause weird behavior).
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Creations