Glowfic Idiom

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Glowfic Idiom

Postby Alicorn » Sat May 13, 2017 11:19 pm

I have noticed a narrative thing that glowfic does where the narration dialogues with itself. Two vaguely and contextually defined clouds-of-agency, or one played off a defined single character, have summarized interactions with each other that are expressed in sentences that definitely don't represent the actual dialogue ("but avoiding massacres is haaaaaaard"). Dropping into this narration style is not signaled, nor are the abstractions of the conversing viewpoints ("and then the nations of Amenta were all like, 'but avoiding massacres is haaaaaaaard'.") It works mostly because the change in author is indicated in the medium itself. I think the only place I've seen similar is on Tumblr where someone is running with a story idea but doesn't want to commit to "actually writing" it and wind up publishing what you could call pseudocode of a story.

Is this a thing elsewhere that I missed?

Does glowfic have other special idioms?
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Re: Glowfic Idiom

Postby quark » Sun May 14, 2017 12:23 am

The thing with spacing to indicate pauses? I'm pretty sure that it's also done in traditional literature but not to the same extent. Also the thing where posts are left entirely blank and the icon is used to convey a reaction to something.
quark

Pronouns: they/them or she/her

Postby Kappa » Sun May 14, 2017 4:45 am

Spacing-for-pause and blanktags and to some extent the "but avoiding massacres is haaaard" thing are all present in glowfic's parent genre of RP.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Unbitwise » Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 am

The thing where someone asks an unreasonable number of questions in a row before getting the answers.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby pedromvilar » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 am

That I think is a general convention of text RP, it exists on Second Life RP too and I'd be surprised if the parent genre didn't also have it.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby AndaisQ » Sun May 14, 2017 9:17 am

"The [x] will tolerate this indignity" is one actual idiom that I have found to be approximately unique to glowfic, though I may be wrong. It is definitely a strong marker.
AndaisQ

Pronouns: Male

Postby BlueSkySprite » Sun May 14, 2017 9:50 am

When a character takes an action and it's written as just "[Action]." rather than in a sentence like "[Character] [actions]." Like "Frown." "Stab." "Bounce bounce." etc. It's - almost like in chat when people say things they're doing ("nod", "flail"...), but usually different sorts of actions, especially facial expressions and emotive gestures? I don't think I've really seen that anywhere else, although it might be a thing in other RP fic.
BlueSkySprite

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby pedromvilar » Sun May 14, 2017 10:51 am

The indignity thing I think might be exclusive to glowfic, I think it's inspired by a specific post in effulgence.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Rotifer » Sun May 21, 2017 10:52 am

I occasionally notice the form "[noun]: is [verb]ed" or "[noun]: is [adjective]" in glowfic; idk enough about its parent genre to know if it gets that from there or not though.
avatar by tumblr user etirabys | "That's the most horrible sort of cute thing I've ever heard." -Aredhel
Rotifer

Pronouns: he/him

Postby ChaosMagic » Sun May 21, 2017 1:09 pm

I think the "[noun]: is [verb]" is a tumblr meme? So could have come over from the tumblr RP community (idk if it started on tumblr, but you see stuff like "dog: is pet" a decent bit)
ChaosMagic

Pronouns: They/them

Next

Return to Miscellanea