Help me pick screennames! (Contains Effulgence spoilers)

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Help me pick screennames! (Contains Effulgence spoilers)

Postby Kappa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 pm

I have... quite a lot of characters in Effulgence. XD Many of them need journals. Some of them will be needing those journals quite soon! And for many of those, I either have no idea what screenname I want them to have, or I have an idea and I don't like it and want a better one. So Alicorn suggested I turn to you guys.

The Effulgence spoilers mentioned in the thread title concern which templates have appeared or will be appearing in which worlds and their relevant characteristics.

The parameters of a DW screenname are:
  • it must be between 2 and 25 characters (inclusive)
  • it must use only alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9) and underscores
  • it can't start or end with an underscore, or have two consecutive underscores

The parameters of screennames I prefer are:
  • Avoid numerals unless you have some kind of pun or reference or letter substitution or other clever use for them that is so blazingly brilliant it overcomes my aesthetic dislike
  • Use underscores sparingly, for noble causes. Noble causes include:
    • Improving the pacing of the phrase - I had a never-used Rorschach journal on LJ called and_god_was_not, and it just wouldn't have worked as andgodwasnot. Too fast and mumbly. Likewise some of my Effulgence journals, like hold_infinity and fiery_delights.
    • Improving the parsing of the phrase - Lalita's dream_me_up would be much harder to read as dreammeup.
    • Emphasizing alliteration or other parallels - e.g. free_flowing, pumpkin_pie.
  • I really like phrases that are from something, like a song or poem or somebody's canon or an existing thread. But things that aren't are okay too, if they fit the character well in some way.
  • I try to avoid screennames that are or contain the actual name of the character, or one they frequently use, or anything else I'm going to be saying verbatim in narration attached to that screenname, because it will pain me with pains every time I do it. But sometimes I can be tempted to make an exception, if there's some kind of play on the name that is just perfect.
  • I try to avoid using words that need apostrophes - it's, don't, I'm, et cetera - because they can't have them and it makes me sad.

You can see all my existing Effulgence screennames here, and see many of them attached to sundry other information about the relevant characters in the Effulgence fan spreadsheet.

If you want to check if a screenname is available, you can go here and type it in under "Account name" (but please don't actually go on to create it because then i cannot use it myself XD), or try going to [attemptedscreenname].dreamwidth.org and see whether you get someone's actual journal or a variation on "There is no user qqqqqqqqqqqq at Dreamwidth Studios." But you don't have to do this part if you don't feel like it; you can just throw suggestions around regardless. In fact, I encourage making suggestions even if you know they aren't available, because there's always a chance that I or somebody can come up with a variant or derivative that's still free.

I'm gonna nab the first post of this thread to list screennames I need, so it'll be easier to go back and edit the lists later as I will inevitably need to do.
Last edited by Kappa on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Re: Help me pick screennames! (Contains Effulgence spoilers)

Postby Kappa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 pm

The screennames I need most urgently are:
  • Happily, no one!

Less urgent but still on the horizon are:
  • Fire from Cosel, an instance of the Joker template who is a local elemental of the Fire variety.
  • Ice from Cosel, an instance of the Rayne template who is a local elemental of the Ice variety.
  • An unnamed instance of the Kingfisher template from Cosel. (Paired Raynes and Kingfishers always have journal names that are related in some way, if I'm making the journals at roughly the same time, so these two should come as a set. In previous instances - hold_infinity/palmofyourhand, fadefaraway/andquiteforget, breakingin/shapingup - I've taken them from consecutive phrases of the same song or poem.)
  • Zenith, an instance of the Gaël/Glynn/Galadriel template from Cosel, who is a local elemental of the Zenith variety (a combination of Air and Shine, which is the local name for the element of light). He will also happily accept fairy tale source material - I suspect most of the template would - but there might be something else out there that fits him just as well.
  • Two more templates from Cosel that you haven't seen before and that I'm not even sure how to describe so I'm just listing them here for completeness' sake and in case I come up with a way to describe them later.
  • An instance of the Matilda template from Cosel who will be a local elemental of the Dust variety (a combination of Air and Stone).

• Piper from Tayane, a Matilda who will be facecast Arden Cho when she is restored to human form.

To be gotten around to someday in no particular hurry are:
  • Harley - current prospective screenname is safekept, which is meh
  • Corona - current prospective screenname is burningheart, which is... marginally better than meh but still not great. Update: PlainDealingVillain suggested shinelikethesun or youcrazydiamond; I might go with shinelike.
  • Celo - current prospective screenname is a tossup between howyouwanna (Alice Cooper lyric) and summerheat (reference to his name), and I like both but I'm willing to entertain alternatives
  • Sue(/War) - current prospective screenname is candleflame, which I like but am willing to entertain alternatives
  • Jellybean - current prospective screenname is everyflavoured, and you'd have to have a damn good alternative to get my attention, but it's always possible
  • The Rayne from Sunshine, who is likely to be facecast Tom Hiddleston and may end up being a generic journal for Raynes of that age the way jellyinthemix is generic for Giles and Merryweather and tearingup is generic for Ripper and Keth
  • Nathaniel

• An Eights from PMMM named Diana who will be a magical girl and might end up just being defaulted to the standard Eights journal anyway
  • A Chainsaw from PMMM named Cass who will be a magical girl and also the witch who is the equivalent of canon's Walpurgisnacht.

• A Wolverine from Cape (the Worm 'verse) who will in fact be going by Wolverine as his cape name
  • A Kolya from Cape who will be a girl (named Alyona) and have a power similar to canon's Labyrinth. Her prospective screennames are daedalia and areatha and I don't especially like either.
  • Sundry Cape characters whose prospective screennames I'm actually quite pleased with and don't anticipate changing, which I'll list here in template/nickname/screenname format just so you can see them: Lazarus/Eleanor/corvidere, Joker/Surprise/lastclown, Steven/Blackout/mydarkness, Tony/Hyperion/fastmachine, Virginia/Erytheia/hesperide.

I may be forgetting some. Who am I kidding, I'm almost certainly forgetting some. But that's what the edit button is for. XD
Last edited by Kappa on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 am, edited 15 times in total.
Kappa

Postby Alicorn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:14 pm

I could use a few screennames too, although less urgently (I settle faster than kappa does).

- A boy Standard Backstory Bell who currently has no distinguishing characteristics that are not attributable to his girlfriend
- Minnie (Prom Ghost) and her alt Hermione of Thalassa could reasonably share a single account, if I had one (I don't have a face for her either yet)
- One for Peninnah's grownup account (I currently have "daisywheel" but I'm not sure about it; she'll be developing an ingot power of mental export). PB for grownup Pen is Gemma Arterton.
- An Edward for Pacifica, who will be raised by single-mom-Libby plus Chris and go by Ned
- An Edward for the Snow Queen 'verse, who will be named Edvard and will take Kai's place in the fairy tale plot
- A boy Elspeth named Espen for the Snow Queen 'verse, PB Andrew Garfield
- A Bell for kappa's Practical Demonology 'verse if we ever get around to that one, could be reasonably themed around Persephone references for reasons
- Anything better than "quetzalcohuatl" for Hogwarts-attending Sonequa Martin-Green faced British Bell

For kappa, I don't know why it took this post for me to think of it, but:

- along_came_a for Spider
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Anya » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:32 am

thevictorious for Sigyn?

For another pb, I think Willy Cartier is nice and Jokerish.

Here's a full post of them, http://asylums.insanejournal.com/countenance/11599.html, though you have to have an IJ account and add http://www.insanejournal.com/asylum/joi ... ountenance to your friends. If you don't have an IJ account I can just upload them and send them to you.
Last edited by Anya on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Kappa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:12 am

...innteresting Sigyn notion! I will investigate further! :D :D :D

Also I'm bumping along_came_a to the top of Spider's prospectives list because it is better than what I've got. XD

edit: I am growing increasingly fond of Willy Cartier for Sigyn; his only flaw is that he doesn't smile enough, but it's possible I could scrape up sufficient smiles and then he would do just fine. I am considering thevictorious as a screenname, but am not immediately sold. It's better than what I've got, though.
Last edited by Kappa on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Postby Anya » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:16 am

Whenever I see a cute person that flashes their teeth while smiling I go 'oooooooo Joker pb!'
Last edited by Anya on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anya

Postby Kappa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 am

You should tell me about these more often :D :D :D :D :D
Kappa

Postby Anya » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 am

I will! :D

You might have these already, but here http://sansaicons.insanejournal.com/1956.html & http://asylums.insanejournal.com/costum ... 91039.html is where I got my Aladdin icons from.
Anya

Postby Kappa » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:22 am

That second one did not quite copy/paste correctly, but I suspect I know the post you're talking about. I know I've got the first one. edit: Oh, there we go. Yep, got it. :D
Kappa

Postby Anya » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:26 am

I have found more of Willy Cartier! http://asylums.insanejournal.com/haggar ... ly+cartier :D

And yeah the smiling thing bothered me too, but I spotted a couple smiling pictures there.
Anya

Next

Return to Miscellanea