Terminology

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Re: Terminology

Postby Marri » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I have tossed around the idea of a Setting (something like Sunshine or Nexus) as distinct from Canon (where Sunshine's is Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Nexus' is Vorkosigan Saga) as available tags.

It does not handle different author interpretations of canons cleanly unless you made them like Arda (Candy) and Arda (Forest), but that seems like unnecessary duplication.

I'm also not sure how to handle things like "this character is the one I use generically in all Buffyverse threads" vs "I made a separate character object for every different Buffyverse thread I'm in", but maybe it's good enough to get by?

Am I missing other cases? Do I need more levels of tag?
Marri

Postby DanielH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:10 pm

I find it confusing to have Four, Eight, etc. running around in RoR, and relatedly I can’t keep track of which nickname belongs to which instance. If you could standardize how the Constellation can handle that, perhaps with thread-specific or continuity-specific nicknames, that could help.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Throne3d » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:35 pm

There's already an issue for character pseudonyms for the Constellation. Those "nicknames" also aren't actually on the site as template nicknames (or at least not only as those) but have been literally placed into the name field, at present. I realize this is probably to make it visible which character has which nickname attached.

If people can tag characters with a canon under the 'setting', like if canons are in fact settings but with special additional properties, I think that would solve that particular problem.

Some system so the 'owners' of the relevant canons can go alter details about them such as the description would be useful (e.g. if looking at user-created worlds, or if looking at a variant of the world that's pretty clearly run by one person). It should, I think, allow multiple authors / editors.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby Kappa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Character aliasing would be so good.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Unbitwise » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:26 pm

This is making me think that — from a 'how the Constellation should work' perspective — we want an arbitrary hierarchy of tags, so that — should an author so choose to put in the work — we can have a setting "Arda → Lintamande's Arda → Space Arda → the Space Arda in Room of Requirement".

I then also note that exactly the same argument applies to characters and templates (which are an obligatory exactly-two-level hierarchy). We could have "Maitimo → Maitimo-in-Space-Arda → that one fork". If it's trivial to create a new one that differs only in name, there wouldn't be as much laziness-motivation to reuse characters with the "wrong" name/nickname.

…should a setting be the same fundamental-kind-of-thing as a character? They share a lot of similarities in that they Appear In Threads and they come in clusers of similarities. Maybe there should be a notion of “object” which has sub/super (template/instance) relationships and all of them can be used as tags and some objects are settings and some objects are characters.

Given that we just love to do all sorts of variations-on-a-theme, this seems like OBVIOUSLY THE RIGHT THING now that I've thought of it. Powerful and flexible functionality, less hardcoding! (Fewer, harder code and UI problems to solve!)
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Throne3d » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:34 pm

That seems rather like what has been suggested with threads and posts and... I kinda have to say while it seems nice I'm pretty sure it is disgusting to code. It'd mean if we want to produce a proper tree hierarchy thing we'd have to do a ton of database calls to fill out the full list, I'm pretty sure.
Throne3d

Postby Moriwen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:50 pm

I think that would also get kind of overwhelming from a new-reader perspective. ("Should my characters have lots of categories like that? What do all those terms mean? aaaAAA)
Mostly I agree with Kappa that it would be really nice to have some way to show nicknames in-thread, whether that's a character aliasing option or just having them be one of the things displayed beneath the icon. (I mean, we have a field for them and everything, you just have to click through to see them.)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Timepoof » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Hee I sparked ~discussion~
But this is the terminology thread, not so much the Glowfic Constellation one? idk
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby pedromvilar » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 am

Throne3d wrote:That seems rather like what has been suggested with threads and posts and... I kinda have to say while it seems nice I'm pretty sure it is disgusting to code. It'd mean if we want to produce a proper tree hierarchy thing we'd have to do a ton of database calls to fill out the full list, I'm pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong, a single query should be enough for this.
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Throne3d » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:25 am

If we want all the characters by an author, sure, and then manipulate it with Ruby, I guess. If we want all subcharacters under one character it'd be messy, unless we added more data to the columns.
Throne3d

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellanea