Terminology

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Terminology

Postby Throne3d » Mon May 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Timepoof raised a discussion in the IRC about terminology for various words:
  • A template-neutral term for 'pealing' (suggestions: joining, grouping, braiding, convene/convention) – people in IRC (four of us) liked 'to convene' so that's possibly a good one to use.
  • A term for continuities such as Effulgence and Incandescence but not for Pixiethreads (since Effulgence and Incandescence have 'peals', so they are in fact continuous, whereas Pixiethreads is a collection of small… other-thread things, see next bullet point)
  • A term for things like each person's index and so on. "Collection" seemed to be liked, and is a rather obvious term. ("Alicorn's collection", "Marri's collection", "the various collections and their indexes are scraped by Throne's EPUB scraper", that sort of thing. Maybe not Pixiethreads.)
  • A term for the sub-sections of continuities, such as "the Eos part of Effulgence". Probably meaning "events involving the worldsheaf and/or the characters from the worldsheaf and/or magic from the worldsheaf". (Suggestions: subtinuity, discontinuity, subcontinuity, contranuity, detinuity, sinuity, sinetinuity)

Personally, I'm mostly interested in a template-neutral term for 'pealing', and I've noticed other people want this too – Pedro has mentioned it to me separately, Kappa mentioned wanting it in the relevant IRC conversation. I haven't thought of any good ideas, though, and I tried to think of ones specific to my templates (Tyler, Theo, Thea: "T-ing", but that doesn't sound good; carmine-ing or something, but that's probably not something they'd think of in-story).

Adding too many words would probably require a reference link and would result in people being disinclined to use them, so the fewer and the more obvious the words the better, I think.
Last edited by Throne3d on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Re: Terminology

Postby Throne3d » Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Edited to add "collection".
Throne3d

Postby DanielH » Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 pm

I think Pixiethreads and Radon Absinthe are qualitatively different than the collection of Marri’s sandboxes. They have been named as a thing-that-goes-together by the authors involved, and there is the implication that the sub-continuities might at some point meet. I think of them as pre-continuities.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Timepoof » Wed May 25, 2016 11:13 am

Yeah, I agree.
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Timepoof » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Prod for visibility
Timepoof

Postby Throne3d » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:38 pm

Updated to add 'convening' for the template-neutral of peal; was suggested in IRC by kappa (after Timepoof brought up the conversation again) and preferred to some suggestion alternatives ('stemming' or 'stemping' as a variant to make it more clearly related to 'template'). Also has a good sound to it, I personally think, while still remaining quite clear about what it is.

("To convene" or "this thread has not yet convened". Presumably therefore 'a convention [of some template]', e.g. 'a convention of Theos is what results after various threads involving Theos convene'?)
Throne3d

Postby atheistcanuck » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:56 pm

"Convening/convention" seems to work pretty well, yes.
atheistcanuck

Pronouns: she/her

Postby Timepoof » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm

I have found a need for a word for the category of, say, the Silmaril Space Arda plus the Space Arda of A Tale Of Two Hells plus the Space Arda in Room of Requirement -- I feel like there should be a way to refer to that, generalised across all worlds instead of just referring to each world type like "the Space Ardas" (which, to me, represents all possible Space Ardas instead of only the ones that appear in multiple different continuities and don't diverge too much but still a little).

Plus maybe a different word for the category of [Godspring of RoR] and [the goldmage world with Faix and Iliar].

What I'm trying to say is that world-family is maybe unspecific?

Also I'm curious what we'd end up calling it if multiple, say, Demon Cams were to meet. They're alts but also even more.

Okay I've totally confused myself I'll post now and figure this out later.
Timepoof

Postby Moriwen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Yeah, I think this is something we're going to need to work out for the Constellation at some point, if we're going to make "setting" something more useful than a freeform field. There's things like candy-Arda and forest-Arda or my Buffyverse and Kappa's Buffyverse, too. And different takes on Milliways... yeah.
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby DanielH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:22 pm

For especially close alts like this I think something that was suggested was “branch”. The term pseudo-fork could also work.

For especially distant ones or different-author/same-base, something like “interpretation” seems to work well Doylistically but not Wattsonianly.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Next

Return to Miscellanea