A Glowfic IRC Channel

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

A Glowfic IRC Channel

Postby Lambda » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 pm

The channel #glowfic on PSIgenix now exists.

Channel logs are here.

Things it could be for:
  • worldbuilding
  • plotting
  • cackling
  • squeeing
  • tagging where bystanders can see, so that we can read updates As Soon As Possible because our hunger is insATIABLE
  • hanging out with your fellow glowficcers
  • ???
  • Profit!

Come join if you're interested.

---

The community has apparently settled on the following consensus:
Throne wrote:If people are going to join with confusing nicknames, please make it clearly obvious to Kappa via PM or in the chat itself.

Also, if you're PMed requesting who you actually are when you join with a random nick, please respond truthfully, because it's effort to have to work out who people are and some people dislike this, and other people dislike (even more) trying to get a straight answer out of people and being directly lied to, so we think that a good solution to this is not to lie via PM if you're asked directly there.

Presumably this will not be abused by people to get the identity and then return to chat and say "ha, [X] is [Y]" because that would be frustrating for the person doing the name shenanigans themselves.
kappabeta wrote:if you join and the first response people have is "which existing community member are you?", and it's a *bunch* of people having that response, I can see how that might make it feel like the community isn't open to new members

Update (quotes lightly edited for concise consensus-representativeness, refer to link for proper quotes):
Teceler: like, I don't have any issue with 'I don't want to tell anyone who I am'

Moriwen: I mean I could see doing it if, like. there was a particular thing I wanted to squee about but I didn't have the Social Energy to do my usual talking-to-friends?

Throne: That makes sense to me, so long as you actually state it
Throne: So just joining and saying "I'm anon" should hooopefully be okay
Throne: So people can just… try not to keep track of that identity because it'd be a waste

Aestrix: I am okay with that, just not
Aestrix: Fake identity, ooo am I a new person, am I not? WHO KNOWS!
Aestrix: My problem's not the anon thing, it's the. Feeling like I am being lied to that I have a problem with.
Last edited by Lambda on Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lambda

Pronouns: She, her

Re: A Glowfic IRC Channel

Postby Bluelantern » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Yay! :D
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby Anya » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 pm

So. I go to exactly one IRC channel and it is already set up and connected whenever I want to go online. So I've forgotten how to join another channel. Help?
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 pm

/join #glowfic
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Anya » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 pm

You'd think I would have remembered that. Thank you.
Anya

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby atheistcanuck » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:53 pm

sweeeeeeet.
atheistcanuck

Pronouns: she/her

Postby jalapeno_dude » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:54 pm

Can someone set up something to make a transcript of the IRC Channel somewhere, like what was done for the Mafia deathchat? Almost never have time for IRC myself but be nice to know vaguely what's being talked about there.
jalapeno_dude

Pronouns: He

Postby Kappa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:00 am

Agree with the jalapeno.
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby Throne3d » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 am

I also agree – I thought it'd be nice to have an IRC channel in the past, but thought it might make the forums less active, or alternatively make it more difficult for people to keep in the loop. A transcript, or maybe a brief summary of conversation topics, would be nice, even though I'm probably going to be in the channel a lot.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby DanielH » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:07 am

Throne3d wrote:I also agree – I thought it'd be nice to have an IRC channel in the past, but thought it might make the forums less active, or alternatively make it more difficult for people to keep in the loop. A transcript, or maybe a brief summary of conversation topics, would be nice, even though I'm probably going to be in the channel a lot.

Making it more difficult to keep in the loop is definitely something I’m afraid of. It seems like a large amount of MWF continuity became IRC-only and I wasn’t able to keep up with it given just the forum and Dreamwidth.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Next

Return to Miscellanea