Daily Reports Chatter

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Re: Daily Reports Chatter

Postby Throne3d » Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 am

Bleeeeeeeegh can we not do that.

Expanding a little: it feels vaguely dispreferable and it would still require me to do some work and it would still be inconvenient if I lost internet access or such and really I'd prefer something very much more automated than that.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby pedromvilar » Mon May 22, 2017 4:26 am

I'm pretty sure throne wants to not have the responsibility for the thing, and it is not terribly good when a thing like this depends on user action, this is part of the problem we're trying to solve
pedromvilar

Pronouns: *shrug*

Postby Unbitwise » Mon May 22, 2017 6:32 am

It's a classic on-web-hosting-that-only-lets-you-respond-to-requests kludge to evaluate this kind of “cron job” stuff whenever any request comes in, whether or not it's a user intending to trigger it or not. Works fine as long as you have enough activity.
Unbitwise

Pronouns: he (or they or whatever)

Postby Kappa » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 am

Is the email thing still a big priority if there's the nifty-unread-report-links thing?
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby pedromvilar » Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 am

nifty-unread-report-links as in the daily report becomes Glowy And Interesting when there's an unread report?
pedromvilar

Postby Kappa » Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 am

yeah that
Kappa

Pronouns: 'He' or 'she', interchangeably

Postby DanielH » Wed May 24, 2017 7:54 am

I said this on the main Constellation thread, but I don’t want the Daily Report to just assume a pageview is equivalent to a read, especially if a pageview for today’s report is equivalent to a read for all unread reports. It should only advance the read counter when viewing the first unread report (or hitting some sort of “mark report read until today” button, maybe with an option to require that button press and not advance it automatically).
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Throne3d » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am

This should not I don't think be a blocker to the report being moved off this forum, as this forum automatically advances unread so it would not be a regression from current behavior. That is, I think your concern should be noted, but if the thing you want has issues (a button, special behavior of some kind), we should be able to compromise on the thing you don't want (basic unread functionality) so as to get the report so I don't have to waste effort on it any more.
Throne3d

Pronouns: He/him/his

Postby pedromvilar » Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 am

I.e. features that are not currently present in the forum daily report should not weigh in the decision of whether/when to move on from it.
pedromvilar

Postby DanielH » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I understand that, but if it is easy to accidentally load the most recent report, thereby resetting the unread tracker, I think that would constitute a regression. It is much harder to accidentally load the last page in the forum; the button to do so is small and far away from the easier-to-click thread title or current unread buttons.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellanea