Grand Glowfic Gathering

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Re: Grand Glowfic Gathering

Postby cbhacking » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:49 pm

I am briefly (and unexpectedly, or I'd have posted with more warning) in the Bay Area this week! Kind of the wrong *part*, I suspect (south, near San Jose), and only until Friday, but I'm still several hundred miles closer than usual. Posting here just in case there's something happening! I'm also interested in, and will check for, LW meetups and similar. Only available in the evenings and I know it's a long shot, but would be interested in meeting people.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Well, there is no gathering per se, but if you want to swing by you could maybe meet me and kappa and watch us, uh, sit at our computers in my living room.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby cbhacking » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Computer-sitting is fun! I'm doing it right now, except I'm in a hotel room and the computer is a lot smaller than my usual one.

If that's a serious invitation (as opposed to a "well, you posted something so I will be polite but not encouraging about it") I may see what it would take to get to your part of this sprawl some evening this week. I'd love to meet you (and Kappa, and others) but not in an "oh hey, I don't actually know you but I'm a big fan of your fiction and your posts on rationality topics and think it would be really fun to chat with you about books and brainhacks and whatever else we find mutually interesting, so can I drop by your house?" kind of way, that just feels weird and awkward. If there was some social congregation I would definitely attend if possible, though, and I wanted to avoid missing that on account of not generally following news of such things in this part of the world.

EDIT I'm not saying I would turn down an invitation if you were extending one sincerely, but I have no reason to expect one.
cbhacking

Pronouns: Masculine (or whatever)

Postby Alicorn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I like meeting fans! I mean, the traditional way for my fans to encounter me is "go to a CfAR workshop and hope I turn up at the party and then hope I find them interesting enough to have them over for dinner", but "post on my forum" should definitely be at least as good a way. We're near the El Cerrito del Norte BART station.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby Timepoof » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:06 pm

*resurrection for discussion*
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Marri » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 pm

I expect that many things have changed post-Merlin.
Marri

Postby Timepoof » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm

I expect this too! Plus there are a lot more of us, maybe people want to meet somewhere that is not near Alicorn. Thus resurrection.
The WAFFLES will submit to this indignity.
Timepoof

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby Alicorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Maggie and Aestrix are both going to be visiting during kappa season (now in session) but during non-overlapping times.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Postby anthusiasm » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Kappa season! What a wonderful name!
anthusiasm

Postby RoboticLIN » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:36 am

NOTICE: This is a necropost from 2015, so take pre-Timepoof-replies with a grain of salt.

Kappa Season is the greatest name for this.

Meeting people for [awesome] [awkward] in person meetings requires knowing where people live. Or having a way to road trip to somewhere. And/or things to do at a meeting point... Might be fun for a laugh, yeah.
Aestrix is clearly the best person of all time, I worship the ground she walks on.
- Aestrix, upon adding her drawing to my avatar <3
RoboticLIN

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellanea