Sandboxing Prompts

If it's germane, yet doesn't fit into another category, it can go here.

Re: Sandboxing Prompts

Postby MaggieoftheOwls » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:01 am

I think that might depend on when they started being a thing. Like, the Barrayar we all know and love is the result of centuries of Time of Isolation. Stuff gets slotted into the "mutant" category so easily because it's so established. The point of the mutant thing was to mercy-kill non viable infants, so if muggleborns started being a thing before the categories were "normal" and "mutie" I see no reason why healthy muggleborn babies should be tarred with the mutant brush.
MaggieoftheOwls

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Postby DanielH » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 am

Yeah, that’s fair. I was overly harsh to Barrayar in my analysis. But I still don’t see how a wizarding population coukd have remained secret for the entire Time of Isolation without actually dying out somehow.
DanielH

Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Alicorn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Sandbox prompt: a planet has elementals now for reasons that will never be relevant to the thread (like, some were imported to a planet in another galaxy in the world, or something). I'm the elementals. Hilarity ensues.
Alicorn
Site Admin

Pronouns: She/her/hers

Postby Bluelantern » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 am

I want to throw more dreamshapers at people.
Sorry for my bad english

"Yambe Akka take the stars, they’re zombies!" - Isabella Amariah
Bluelantern

Pronouns: He, Him, His

Postby DanielH » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Not a full sandbox, but a possible Milliways variation:

Instead of new characters entering via the door (or any of the other myriad usual and less-than-usual ways of entering the establishment), they could already be there. Imagine a Bell went into Milliways, did various Milliways-y non-alt things, and got a room for the night. The next morning, they find an entire peal has gathered in the time dilation. This could be the Effulgence peal, the Room of Requirement or I Could Show You Incredible Things peals, or various other mid-sandbox situations.

Heck, this could happen to two complete *groups* as long as one of them completely evacuates the main bar area (and doesn’t leave messages with Bar), although I doubt anybody would want to merge two previously-separate sandboxes in this fashion.

(Obviously this notion applies to people other than Bells and groups other than peals, but it’s an illustrative example. Maybe Dawn-Shining Taliar got a room in Milliways and then walks downstairs into League, for example)
DanielH

Postby Moriwen » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm not sure I'm seeing the interesting differences between this and "person who's been to Milliways before walks in on a peal." (And the only difference I'm seeing from "any person walks in on a peal" is that they won't have to have Milliways explained to them.)
Moriwen

Pronouns: she/her

Postby DanielH » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Well, a lot of the time in Incredible Things, the door is being held, but there is a side door for the purpose.

But consider the case of Shell Bell. She’s been to Milliways before, but she behaves differently when she is just coming in as opposed to when she is completely out of shells and holding on as long as she can before going home for food.

Consider Sad Cam, who would not come in already knowing about the place because he would not leave. He might have already picked up some magic or technology not native to any of the worlds in the sandbox; Sad Cam with Harry Potter magic can come downstairs but not through the door.

And, of course, there is merging. If the I Could Show You Incredible Things group all left the main bar area at once, they could come downstairs and find the Effulgence peal’s Belltower in the backyard and a note for several of them with Bar. This isn’t particularly likely because I don’t expect Alicorn, Kappa, and Lintamande to do that particular idea, but it seems worth keeping in mind as a possibility whenever people do want a crossover.
DanielH

Postby Kaylin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Putting a copy of this here as well as on my author thread: list of easy ready-to-go starters I can do with my characters/settings.

Settings:
  • Your (probably standard-Earth-version) character encounters a white rabbit and follows them down their hole, finds a strange mirror and goes through it, or arrives in Wonderland by some other means. Examples: https://glowfic.com/characters/2081?view=posts (various).
  • (Insert portable character here) lands in or near the Lost City of Kadar and encounters the D&D party who are exploring it. Example: https://glowfic.com/posts/977 (with Aestrix's necromancer Veron). Alternatively or additionally, your native character(s) are part of said group.
  • Your native character(s) go(es) to mage school in Quintessence. Example: https://glowfic.com/posts/687 (with Faceless' Grayson sisters).
  • Someone arrives, either as an Arabek native travelling by conventional means or through interdimensional travel, in Littenvale, the domain of Merilakian.

Characters:
  • Milliways threads are easy.
  • Puna, the motu goddess of travel, is the first volunteer to investigate the strange portal that appeared near a motu village. On the other side is (insert your setting here). She proceeds to attempt to solve its problems.
  • Robin, a bored faery, wanders between the worlds and notices something interesting happening over there...
  • Ranata, acolyte of Merilakian, is on a tour of nearby godly domains. Example: https://glowfic.com/posts/915 (with diaeresis' Ellayania).
  • Your character summons angel Raven or demon Z. Alternatively, your character is summoned by soon-to-be-Revelation Raven (and possibly also Cat), but that one needs a bit more work.
  • Cole lands on you after a magical accident. Example: https://glowfic.com/posts/909 (in Wizard-of-Woah's Miracle)
Kaylin

Pronouns: they/them (subject to change)

Previous

Return to Miscellanea